cottontop

Cobbler Question

I am wondering if any of the cobblers on the forum have some experience in stretching leather shoes. My question is how much can a shoe be stretched? Can a shoe be stretched one full size larger?

Joe

Being a amateur shoemaker I had access to a last.  Had foot surgery, slow healing I'm 80.  Modify last.   Soak shoe in water overnight, wipe off excess water.  Wrap last in plastic wrap, apply talc, install into last, may take a few hit's with mallet.  Let sit for week. The darker boot was elk I veg tanned. The other Horween horse.  You can also do this with the right shoe tree

20240715_194630[1].jpg

Mablung, I think you are right, however, I also think it depends on the style of shoe and how much you want to increase the size. I think trying to go up a full size would be stretching things (pun intended), but it might be possible to get close to that. I haven't received the shoes in question, but they should be here is a few days. I bought them off an auction site because they were a pretty expensive shoe for about a third of the original price. They are close to my size so I thought I would take a chance. If they don't fit or if they can't be made to fit I will donate them to the town blessing box. I have been able to slightly increase the size (up to 1/2 size larger) of tight fitting shoes by spraying them with "Foot Matters Shoe Stretch" and then inserting a wooden shoe stretching block and letting them set for 24 hours or so. The sole didn't seem to be affected at all. But, if these shoes are too tight, I plan to take them to the local cobbler to see what he can make of them. If it can't be done, I will not lose much; if it can be done I will gain a lot. Will let you now how it works out.

Joe

Edited by cottontop

When it comes to stretching a shoe the are a few factors to consider.  The material the shoe is made from , the construction of the shoe , where the stretching needs to take place and how much stretching is needed .

In the case of EU sizes the difference between size length is about 9-10 mm  per number . difference between widths is about 6 mm per letter . Stretching the width is relatively easy for 90% of shoes up to 2 letter sizes . Example a E width can be stretched to a EEE . When it comes to length only one size bigger can be reasonably be expected. Things like work boots and hiking boots don't respond well to a length stretch  and only one size in width is possible .  The ideal candidate for a length and width stretch is a full leather upper and lining with a goodyear welted leather sole . Depending on how much stretching is needed will determine the amount of stretching fluid needed . Stretching fluid or spray is no closely guarded secret . Make your own with 10% methelated spirit and 90% water . The metho and water mix . the metho penetrates the waxes, oils and polishes and drags the water in with it which allows the shoe to stretch . This is sprayed onto the shoe both inside and out and  in the area to be stretched and let to sit for a while and then repeated . the shoe is placed in a stretcher and cranked up a little over the desired outcome .  It is left to dry for a couple of days and then tried on to see where you are at and tweeked if necessary .  In extreme cases ,and depending on the shoe you can fill up the shoe with hot water and let it sit for a couple of mins . Empty and towel any loose water and stretch from there .  I use both commercial stretcher and the domestic ones depending on the shoe . There is also a funny tool called a bunion stretcher that i use for older people who have a localized bone growth that needs some room . I also have a calf stretcher that does the calves of boots .

Below are some photos of the commercial stretcher that i use . These can be cranked to the extreme . Most cobblers will have one . 

By cranking the back handle it increases length  by cranking the front handle it increases the front width

@cottontop post some clear photos of the shoe and sole and any info you might think will be helpful and i can advise on a plan of action and reasonable expectations 

shoe stretcher1.jpg

shoe stretcher 2.jpg

Tastech, will post some photos after the shoes arrive. Thanks for your comments.

Joe