Sign in to follow this  
sheowahya

Owl

bevtex.jpg

Here is my latest... it is still a work in process.

This is just a practice piece.

When I get good enough I will make a portfolio cover with this design.

I'm new at this and this is my third piece.

All suggestions welcome.

Marilyn

post-340-1167626034_thumb.jpg

That is a great job! the only thing that struck me was that the body seems a little thick, but that may be how the original picture/pattern was. I think of owls as more slender.

I used the pattern from "Figure Carving Finesse" by al Stohlman (pg 115 and the accompanying pattern pack). I scanned the line drawing from the pattern pack and then used my image software to enlarge and flip the image. Perhaps the software didn't maintain the size ratios when I changed the image size. I'll look into that. Thank you for noticing that. I've become really bad about expecting my computer to do what I tell it to.

I have learned that I have a LOT to learn about feathers and trees, but all things considered, I am pleased that it came out as well as it did on a first try. Craft, learn, improve. :)

Here is the almost finished product. I still have to do the finish on it. I get SO nervous for that part. I let projects sit on my workbench for days or weeks before I get brave enough to finish them. That's the reason why I do so many "practice" pieces, I screw up the finish part so bad that I have to start over.

done.jpg

post-340-1167680045_thumb.jpg

Hi Marilyn and welcome to the forum. This is only your third piece? I would say you are off to a fine start. I think you did a really nice job on the trees. There are tools made especially for tree branches and feathers that would make it possible to get finer detail in these areas, but what you have used does give texture and that's the idea. There is nothing wrong with using what you have, like the veiner on the small evergreens.

I looked at the pattern you used and I think that your computer did the enlarging right. Al's owl is pretty chubby. I think that when you enlarge the pattern as you did, you have the possibility of adding finer detail than when it was as small the original. If you study how Al did the feathers on some of the other birds, you will get an idea of what I mean. Then it just takes practice.

I completely understand where you are coming from with finishes and coloring. I still leave finished carvings sit for weeks sometimes before I attempt coloring. But that too will get easier.

Thanks for sharing your picture. I hope that we get to see more.

Clay