LuisPaulo

What is "Sheridan" about ?

Sorry about my silly question but...

I have seen a lot of pictures, posts, tutorials about the Sheridan style, but I didn't understand... What exactly defines this style ?

Thanks for your patience... lol.

Sheridan style is very intricute, (can't spell sorry) will fine lines and small stems, scrolls and very tight patterns. The Porter syle has very large leaves, stems and flowers. You will see this on a lot of older saddles. There are several other styles that have simularities but the Sheridan style seem to be very popular an at the shows if you do not carve Sheridan style you don't seem to do as well. Here is a portfolio with Sheridan style carving as an example.

leather_086.jpg

post-62-1203309528_thumb.jpg

As I understand it, one of the other characteristics of Sheridan style carving is using just the tip of the thumbprint on flower petals and leaves. This has the effect of making the impression made by the tool start deep and fade out very quickly.

... What exactly defines this style ?

ahh... the age old question... what defines a particular style...

as randy noted, today's sheridan style is characterized by small interlocking circular patterns, and as spencer noted, today's sheridan uses "thumprints" instead of pear shaders - thumbprints being flatter and typically are not walked. there are other tool differences as well - steeper beverer being one.

today's sheridan has evolved over the past 50-60 years, and Don King is widely credited with developing it and refining it to the style we all recognize today. interestingly though, if you look at the book on sheridan style by bob likewise and clint fay, back in the 50's, sheridan style evolved from other styles, and back then, it was similar to porter style. Today, there are lots of people carving what has become known as sheridan style in a very narrow sense - essentially replicating clint fay's style that is most prevalent in the likewise/fay book. However, there are other artists that that are also known for sheridan style, but have their own individual look to it. Don Butler and Chas Weldon come to mind. And even more artists that have taken the style and combined it with their own tastes and created their own style... which may have sheridan characteristics, but is not what we call a typical sheridan style... so the style continues to evolve, making it hard to define it...

This link will show you lots of Sheridan styles as well as some stuff from the folks mentioned above. You can compare styles and by the time you've looked at all of them, you'll be able to identify Sheridan from across the room!!!

http://www.westernfolklife.org/site1/batr/...eak_contest.php

Hope it helps.

Timbo

I have been wanting to try my hand at do something in the Sheridan Style. You have gave the push to go for it. I got a Organizer insert I've been wanting to use. I know this will take me awhile but I'll try to post something as I go along.

Tom