newengland

Help with how to restore this leather

Sorry if this is not the correct forum, just need some help. Getting into leather working a bit, but struggling with a vintage leather couch I have.

One of the cushions has a cloudy/matte appearance with a tacky feel to it. (bottom of attached photo). The other two seem to look more like they should (top of photo)

I've tried everything from wax cleaners/conditioners to non wax cleaners/conditioners to dish soap and even diluted vinegar. Nothing helps at all.

Is this leather just too far gone? Any suggestions? Thanks

couch.jpeg

Edited by newengland

We may need to get serious with the cleaners.

IPA, Isopropanol Alcohol 70 to 99% then if that doesn't do anything Acetone

Not knowing what is causing the stickiness, my best advice is to give it a cleaning with saddle soap and a soft brush, then carefully rinse.  You don't want to get the leather soaking wet.   The agent causing the stickiness could be well soaked into the leather and may not come out all in one wash.  If it's some sort of chemical, it might be impossible to get out without using serious chemical cleaners like fredk suggests, but be sure to try it in an inconspicuous spot first.

I take a slightly different route with mine because I know what's causing the stickiness.  I have a dog that loves to share my leather sofa with me, and it gets quite greasy and sticky from his fur.  It looks a lot like your bottom picture. I use Murphy's Oil Soap (if it's good enough to clean antique wood, it's good enough for my old sofa) to clean up his favorite spot, and after all is dry, I use some shoe polish to help restore some of the color.  But while the leather is still intact, it is fading out and I've been thinking it might be time to re-dye the whole thing.  But that's a whole thread of its own. 

Edited by TonyV

3 hours ago, fredk said:

We may need to get serious with the cleaners.

IPA, Isopropanol Alcohol 70 to 99% then if that doesn't do anything Acetone

Thanks! I might try those. Can't really make it too much worse so worth a shot

3 hours ago, TonyV said:

Not knowing what is causing the stickiness, my best advice is to give it a cleaning with saddle soap and a soft brush, then carefully rinse.  You don't want to get the leather soaking wet.   The agent causing the stickiness could be well soaked into the leather and may not come out all in one wash.  If it's some sort of chemical, it might be impossible to get out without using serious chemical cleaners like fredk suggests, but be sure to try it in an inconspicuous spot first.

I take a slightly different route with mine because I know what's causing the stickiness.  I have a dog that loves to share my leather sofa with me, and it gets quite greasy and sticky from his fur.  It looks a lot like your bottom picture. I use Murphy's Oil Soap (if it's good enough to clean antique wood, it's good enough for my old sofa) to clean up his favorite spot, and after all is dry, I use some shoe polish to help restore some of the color.  But while the leather is still intact, it is fading out and I've been thinking it might be time to re-dye the whole thing.  But that's a whole thread of its own. 

I bought this used and the previous owner had a big dog who spent a lot of time on this sofa. So I believe that is the cause of these issues! 

Any alternatives to Murphy's? I've had some issues with it in the past and have vowed to not use it anymore haha.

Mild dish soap doesn't do anything unfortunately 

D-Limonene in water with alcohol and a surfactant. Spray on, leave for a while, wipe off, repeat until clean. This usually works for most things. If it is dog stuff on your leather, it might work.

I use a 16oz spray bottle, 3 Tbsp each of D-Limonene and rubbing alcohol  and a couple of drops of dishwashing soap. I increase the Limonene if needed. It is a solvent so I wear gloves when making the concoction but the spray is harmless, at least for me and my dog. I use food grade everything.

Dawn dish detergent works on most any organic oil, but try it in an inconspicuous spot first.  It might be rough on the dye.  But can it be much worse than a big, greasy bird dog? :cheers:

The stickiness might be the result of years of skin oils interacting not with the leather per se but with some  synthetic substance that it is impregnated with.   If you can't remove the stickiness by the very intelligent tips given above, try creating a barrier with multiple layers of a hard clear furniture wax or shoe polish (NOTHING WITH SILICONE IN IT!!).  Then artfully arrange some interesting textiles over the couch to cover the stain. 

If I were visiting you I wouldn't think less of you from having that stain on your couch.  I think  I'd love it because it is the record of how much someone loved their dog and how much the dog loved to be near that person.