tielz

Removing front of panels from Lane Fox saddle

I am usually able to replace billets without dropping panels.  I have an old Cliff Barnsby Lane Fox that needs the front of the panels dropped due to the webbing being so short.  There is this thread that I can snip by the front dee and a tack/nail up above that on the underside.  What is the best way to get that little tack out without breaking it off?  It is really flush with the leather and I don't want to damage the saddle in the process.  

I have a Barnsby Hammond saddle but have not dropped the panel on it (yet).  Can you show a picture of the tack you're asking about?  I would start by cutting the pop stitching on the bottom front edge of the pommel, shown in the picture below.  Best way to do this is to begin bending the panel downward on one side of the gullet to expose the stitches between the layers, and cutting them with a scalpel.  Cut the stitches, working your way from one side of the gullet across to the other side.  Pay attention to the pattern of the stitching, such as any overstitching to reinforce a seam, because you'll have to replace this stitching.  Ideally you'll be able to use the same holes to sew the panel back in place.  If you can't insert a harness needle through a hole try using a second needle inserted from the backside to gauge how the layers need to move in order to line up the holes.  It's anybody's guess how much the saddler angled the awl for each stitch.  Need to search for the entry/exit point for each hole and try to follow it with your needle.  If you're really stuck you can work your way through with an awl.  

As the front of the panel is freed up by cutting the stitches you can determine if the tacks you mentioned also need to be removed in order to drop the panel.  I haven't seen tacks holding a panel in place although there are 2 small holes in my panel ( one shown in the picture) that might have been caused by a tack pulling through the leather. I did replace billets on a Custom Saddlery dressage saddle with 2 screws embedded in felt pads that secured the panel, instead of the pop stitching. Most of them I've done use the pop stitching.

IMG_7554.thumb.JPG.e971d9e28d46d76a2452f8ed41de5000.JPG  

Edited by TomE

Thank you for your reply.  I have photos, but I don't know how to upload them from this Ipad.  I did get the front panels off. There is one doubled stitch holding the flap to the leather under the skirt that runs a sort of loop.  Right up from that was a single tack that pulled out.  The panels came off easily.  I cleaned everything up and the new billets went on easily.  

Now I am struggling with tying the final knot after replacing the stitching.  How do I pull it up close to the saddle between the tight leather?    I am used to back stitching on bridle work versus knotting.  

Yes, backstitching/overstitching is a good way to begin and end.  Can slide a knot up the end of the thread but it is difficult to cinch it down tight.  I rely on cobbler's wax (pine resin + beeswax) and overstitching to hold the last stitch in place.

Edited by TomE

Thank you for the upload tips!  Here is the saddle.  The blue mark is where there is a stitch holding the panel to the upper leather.  When pulled apart, there is a hole at the top and a hole at the bottom. There was no third hole where anything was back stitched.  The tack is above the stitched part up underneath the little flap of leather at the button level.  I used my curved needle to go in and out of the panel.  The original was knotted at the start and finish.  I am just having trouble sliding the final knot back in between the panel and leather.  There has to be a technique to this.  I just don't know it.  I also could not tell if the knots were somehow joined together versus being two separate ones.  The old stitching was a bit rotted.

IMG_3117.jpeg

The tack is under the flap of leather in this area.  You can see in this photo the little wad of linen thread between the panel and the leather where it is knotted.   

IMG_3118.jpeg

Edited by tielz