Dwight

Need Saddlebag Pattern

Actually . . . I don't need the full saddlebag pattern . . . just the part that goes behind the rider . . . 

The distance between the two bags is one dimension I need

the width of the top . . . at the center is a second dimension

AND . . . the radius of the half circle cut out to ride up against the saddle . . . 

The rest is a no brainer . . . 

I want to make a set of saddlebags for a project . . . and maybe sell them later . . . just want them to be of the right dimensions that someone having a horse would want to buy them.

Thanks for all your help . . . 

I was thinking if someone cared to do it . . . lay your saddlebags down on the floor with a 1 foot ruler laying next to them and post a picture.  I can "interpolate" from there . . . close enough.

Thanks . . . may God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Tandy has a 1917 saddle bag pattern in their leather craft library.   I tried to post it but its like18.6mb, and over the size limit.  My email is capped at 10mb.  

this is the link.

1917 Saddle Bag Pattern Pack — Tandy Leather, Inc.

1 hour ago, Littlef said:

Tandy has a 1917 saddle bag pattern in their leather craft library.   I tried to post it but its like18.6mb, and over the size limit.  My email is capped at 10mb.  

this is the link.

1917 Saddle Bag Pattern Pack — Tandy Leather, Inc.

Thanks Littlef . . .  whole lot more in there than I wanted . . . they'll be plain . . . kind of bags a cheap critter like me would have carried.

May God bless,

Dwight

3 hours ago, Dwight said:

Thanks Littlef . . .  whole lot more in there than I wanted . . . they'll be plain . . . kind of bags a cheap critter like me would have carried.

May God bless,

Dwight

You’re welcome sir.  They seem to be way more fancier than what most people would use… but hopefully it gives you the dimensions you were needing. 

I would be pleased to send you a pattern.  Here are a few that I have built.  Let me know which one you would want a pattern for.  As you said, the part that goes behind the cantle is the foundation for constructing the bags.

Ron

IMG_1533 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1343 - Copy.JPG

2 hours ago, Goldshot Ron said:

I would be pleased to send you a pattern.  Here are a few that I have built.  Let me know which one you would want a pattern for.  As you said, the part that goes behind the cantle is the foundation for constructing the bags.

Ron

IMG_1533 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1343 - Copy.JPG

Good looking work, Goldshot Ron . . .  those would make a bad lookin horse's image perk up.

Looking at some of the TV westerns and movies . . . some of the saddlebags looked to be maybe 18 inches square . . . 5 or 6 inches deep . . . not the 10 inch variety that is sold on Etsy and Ebay these days.

I don't travel much . . . maybe 2 days gone at a time . . . and a pair that sized would carry all of my needs.

I remember them pulling the saddlebags off with a rolled up blanket . . . and the horse N saddle went into the livery.

I'm kind of attempting that for myself . . . 

Got a lady down the street with a couple horses . . . may just go down there and snoop around.

But keep up the good work . . . you are an asset to the forum.

May  God bless,

Dwight