Sign in to follow this  
Trailblazer87

Preserving the natural figuring on horse hide

Hello all, new here, but have been lurking for a few months,  learning from the vast repository of knowledge here. 

One thing I haven't been able to find is how you get the natural pattern the shows up in some horse hides. I ordered a few Horween Russet straps and when I opened the package one of them has a very nice fine zebra pattern that I'm tempted to make into a belt. 

So how do I get that to show without covering it up with dye or having it change with light exposure? I have enough to just make a belt and holster for my S&W 686, so I don't want to ruin any.

Thanks in advance. 

some people ask how to be certain those patterns don't show up in the finished product.  Take some samples of the pattern and experiment a little bit with different finishes.  Neatsfoot oil should still allow it to still be visible.  I would expect that sunlight would affect the leather equally wherever it's exposed, so the stripes should still remain, light patches getting a bit darker and the dark patches getting a bit darker still.  Sunlight darkening is a natural contributor to the patina of leather that people find beautiful.   Light-colored dyes would be your best bet in keeping the patterns visible.  You won't see the pattern under a black or dark blue dye :)  Try light brown etc. and apply it lightly.

I had a feeling it would work like that. I will definitely try different finishes on bits of scrap. Thanks!

Besides just using neatsfoot oil, you could also try tanning it. Oil a scrap piece and put it in a sunny window or on the dash of your car. I have found that a few hours to a day or two will give you a beautiful honey tan color.  I personally love the color that comes from this process.