Sign in to follow this  
Gosut

Trying to Figure Out the John Johnson Knife Sheath

A knife that belonged to John "Liver-Eating" Johnson is on display a the Buffalo Bill Museum  in Cody, Wyoming. Here is one photo of it:

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/outdoors/2017/09/12/legend-liver-eating-johnson-keeps-getting-taller/657762001/

Unfortunately, for this topic, it's not the best. There's a much better one on another forum. Don't know if posting it would be a violation of board policy, so holding off on that for now. If you do a search on "Why Bowie gets all the love and not Hudson Bay" that might bring it up.

The tooling is interesting, but the back is what I'm trying to figure out. Unfortunately, the back isn't visible in the first link. I'm not seeing how it was carried. From the other link, the knife was made by Wade and Butcher about 1850. At the top, where today we'd put a piece of leather with a snap to secure the handle, the front view shows what may or may not be the base of three rivets, one toward the sheath and two toward the top, in a way that implies a belt loop. The back, though, doesn't show rivets, but instead seems to have another piece of leather with stitching that follows the stitching on the outside of the sheath. Right at the bottom of this seems to be two small loop holes sewn into the leather, as though a leather lace or something like that could be run through it, but it doesn't show the widening you'd expect if Johnson had done so.

Any thoughts? Have seen photos of knife sheaths from around 1860 that were designed with belt loops like we'd see today, but this looks significantly different.

Thanks in advance.

Went and found the picture you referenced. To me it looks as though the narrow portion of the small piece of leather is not stitched down, which would leave a loop.  If I'm mistaken about that, I'd have to suggest it was meant to be simply shoved inside a sash or waistbelt..

And I'm glad to have seen a good picture of this sheath, because I like the tooling.