camarko

Three pad ox collar

Has anyone come across, or made themselves, a three pad oxen harness (aka Swiss harness)?  Interested in trying my hand at one, but am struggling to find much information. 

Peaked my interest.  I found reference to an article entitled "Make a 3-Pad Ox Collar" in Rural Heritage Magazine, Winter 2004. https://www.mischka.com/shop/product.php?productid=17252  This issue is out of stock at the publisher, but you might find it at a used book seller or private seller.  I would be interested if you turn up this information.

Interesting subject.

In Germany, traction harnesses for oxen are called: "Ochsen zuggeschirr". If you Google that and chose "pictures", then a bunch of different ones surface. I know it isn't a detailed how to make instructions, but normally there are plenty of pictures in those classifieds ads that it will help in giving an idea.

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/zuggeschirr-fuer-ochsen/2403421497-240-1220

Here's the link to a classified ad for one in Germany. I don't own the right to the pictures, that's why I just put in the link. I know it will expires at some point. but I don't want to mess up some copyright stuff.

@Northmount Do you have an idea if we can copy the pictures from that classified ad without getting into trouble and posting them here?

9 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

Do you have an idea if we can copy the pictures from that classified ad without getting into trouble and posting them here?

Most countries allow limited use for reviews.  I would guess this fits that allowance.

Here are the pictures from the ad. Please note that the pictures are not mine, They just give an idea of how the oxen harness is built.

f8dced8e-f21f-4226-94b5-e7bb563fed20?rule=$_57.JPG

27fa953f-9e97-43ba-b11d-f18c53e18089?rule=$_57.JPG

ba689539-0b2c-4e02-8355-54f61b7fe158?rule=$_57.JPG

159ebaa6-5055-496f-8e31-58cd51f99d3a?rule=$_57.JPG

4bd673cd-0816-4035-9b5d-185e7ea04356?rule=$_57.JPG

Loving the forked stick to hold the harness.

30 minutes ago, toxo said:

Loving the forked stick to hold the harness.

Yes, I noticed that one too. It looks very authentic :-)