Sign in to follow this  
figthnbullrider

getting ready to make my first saddle

I am getting ready to make my first saddle. I think i am ready at least but i know that the best help can come from people that have experience. so what advice would you experienced guys give us new guys

Hi Figthnbullrider,

there was someone asking the same question in the "Members Gallery" section of the forum... you might want to check out the replies there.

Darc

The best advice I can think to give someone just starting out is, keep your tools sharp. Your knives must be sharp enough to shave with.

I'd agree with what Go2Tex said. And get started--jump in and start. If you mess something up--and you will--just do it again. And, again. The best way to learn, in my opinion, is to cut some leather and start putting something together. That's one of the coolest things about leather--if you mess something up, there's always a "do over."

I mess up on a pretty regular basis. I cuss a little (well, a lot) and get right back to it. I don't expect that'll ever change.

Edited by BruceGibson

well i just finish my first saddel bag , and yes i made mistake , but troo my mistake a gain more confidance ,

the best ting i can tell you i do a mokup first i got old carbord and made a sample first from that i made the saddel bag it was a great help

i will post my pic here to show you

p/s if you need anything just whrit me i will try to help

1.jpg

post-6282-126711567784_thumb.jpg

Good advice from all. Choosing a tree is, in my opinion, is the most important part because what is best for the horse and rider is a lot more important than what the saddle looks like. Of course quality is important, but who makes the tree is less important than fit for horse and rider. I am in the middle of making my third saddle, and experienced makers helped me decide on a tree. Looking at many, many custom saddles online and in person, and choosing the parts of those saddles I like best, has helped me design the saddle I want in the end--I think. I am sure there will be many details I would have done differently. The experience of making a lot of saddles is probably the only thing to reduce regret about the saddle you make. It is also ok to copy a saddle you really like. I used cheap poster board from walmart to use for making patterns, but beer cases work just fine too. I also have discovered that after coming up with a decent pattern using cardboard, using vinyl from a fabric store helps me make the pattern for the seat because it bends and flexes decently, and assists in a final commitment to the seat cutout.

Another thing to consider is finding a mentor or a saddle maker who is willing to offer good suggestions as you make it. leatherworker.net is an outstanding source, absolutely, and wish I had found this site before I started making my first. I am amazed at the work of both amateurs and pros. But I was really reluctant to start the first saddle because it seemed such a huge undertaking. It is a really big project for a first time leather worker like myself. I went through two makers before I found one that let me make my own saddle, and not a copy of one of theirs. The saddle maker I finally found--by shear luck in a hardware store--showed me how to make each piece. The result was First Place and Best In Show at the 2007 New Mexico State Fair. My second saddle, made from scraps mostly, was a christmas present for my girlfriends daughter, and the third I am making now is my beater saddle, which I think is going to be nicer than the first. My girlfriend has fallen in love with my first saddle. I love it in an arena and working, but not on the trail for long periods. #3 will likely be my favorite. I will try to get some pics of #2, but it is going to be a while because I am working out of state.

First saddle:

http://good-times.we...551651511rPBbpl

Third saddle:

http://s959.photobuc...apaint/saddles/