FrankSchabler

Leather Creasing Machine

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone had any insights on these machines. I’m thinking about buying this particular one. Is it a worthwhile investment? Are they user friendly and productive? Would this be more of a collectible at this point? I’m looking to speed up edge creasing straps.

IMG_8483.jpeg

IMG_8484.jpeg

I'd buy it if the price is right!!

I would like to see what that machine actually performs. 

Old iron there. Back when they made things to last. 

That one checks a lot of the boxes - steel bottom roller, multiple gears instead of two, and the hooks and shaft extensions aren't broken off. It has a wide wheel and likely used with an overhead line shaft for power. Some of them have a hole in one of the spokes to bolt on handle to crank it, some don't. Easy enough to correct. Would need a bench built for it and stirrup for pressure. 

User friendly - yes. Productive - depends on how much you are making but if any kind of production work - for sure. Collectible - not really. With the popularity of Biothane, the demand for these has dropped off a bunch. I have seen them bring $600 at auctions, $150 at others, and no bids/"please take it back home when you leave". Just depends on the day and who is there. 

Downsides - they take up a lot of real estate on the bench in a smaller shop. They don't ship very well. Unless they are taken apart and packed like Grandma's fine China you may not be happy on the receiving end. If they are left assembled, forget about shipping insurance because they will NEVER pay. The legs break off. The rollers are heavy and the weak spot is where the shaft meets the heavier center section. The road vibration can crack them right there even in a crate or bolted to a pallet. They call it shock damage and one of the many exclusions the shipping insurers have in their pocket to deny a claim. If I bought another to ship in or out, my estate sale would be next weekend because my wife would kill me.