Sign in to follow this  
Patrice

Tips, videos or other information on assembly?

Once again, i have one more question :unsure:

I try to make some pattern for a cylinder holster last summer and i succed after swearing and scraping leather :rolleyes:

bicoc1.JPG

bicoc2.JPG

ensemble1.JPG

After struggling for a nice looking pattern, i was wondering if i can put my hands on books or video like the one that Hide Crafers are selling? I would like to learn to draft pattern, becaus, i would like ton sell my own ceeation and not using kits sold by Tandy or Hide Crafters.

I have the video lesson: Basic assembly techniques by Georges Hurst and i did not take a look yet... But, i rest assure that i will watch this video next week-end.

So, if you can reccomend me some book title and video i wuld gladly accept your reccomandations!

Thank you very much!

post-573-1171379695_thumb.jpg

post-573-1171379754_thumb.jpg

post-573-1171379937_thumb.jpg

Edited by Patrice

Whenever i need to make a pattern i usually try to get an idea on the thickness of the leather im going to be using.

like your cylinderical holster, i would take into account the thickness of the tube so when i calculate the width (circumference). If im not sure, i would make a quick sample out of some scrap material and use that for my dimensions.

also, when cutting patterns, its always easier to REMOVE material then to ADD.

When a leather retailer ships leather, it is often wrapped in what is called "Kraft Paper" to prevent leathers from touching, or just to make a pretty package, I don't know. Save the paper. You can buy a roll of it from Tandy if you ask nicely, but it probably costs $100 a roll, and there is more paper on there than an average leatherworker will need in a lifetime. This paper is slightly easier to work with than a standard paper grocery sack, which makes the grocery sack an ideal inexpensive alternative. This weight paper imitates leather well enough to bend and fold where it needs to, and is sturdy. I know some people who make patterns out of oaktag (like folders) or posterboard, but that doesn't bend like the leather will. Making the pattern out of paper, you can quickly see the design and where everything needs to be. I usually allow an extra quarter inch or so, because you can always trim later. Making a custom pattern is done with the actual item. Try to visualize what the idea is, then trace, cut, tape whatever you need to do to make a working paper pattern. An additional benefit to this method is to be able to minimize the scrap when you cut the pieces by twisting them around what leather you have the most effectively. Mark your stitch lines, where the hardware goes, then, on the back, legibly, write exactly what you made the pattern for, the date and any other details that will make your life easier when you file the pattern after you are done so you don't have to reinvent the wheel for the next item: "I want one just like his!"

It is sometimes easier to buy a cheap something, take it apart and use it for a pattern, but make the paper one so you know you're doing a better job. Al Stohlman wrote three volumes of case making, and they are available through Tandy and Hidecrafters. Even if you aren't exactly making a case, there is great information in those books for designing your own patterns. Pattern making requires patience and practice, but a good pattern will save you time and grief in the shop. If you spend a lot of hours making a beautiful holster, and the gun doesn't fit, it's junk. Well, we call it a "display piece", but it isn't going to get you a check. A good pattern can be modified to suit a similar need, again, saving you from reinventing the wheel.

If they would have presented Geometry in school with leather, I would have caught on better. You learn to fold to get two equal parts, and angles become second nature (drawn with a compass or wing divider, and a straight edge.) When I worked at Tandy I noticed that people who did woodworking, metalsmithing or fabric sewing etc caught on to patterns quickly. You use the same principles, but the key is planning.

Hope this helps a little

Johanna

Thank you both for your find advices! It help me figure out how i can do my own creations!