Sign in to follow this  
Patdf

getting started

Hello all,

I'm a newbie here (approx 2 months of carving, when time permits) and live in Massachusetts. I've taking a few of the begginner classes that were offered at my local Tandy leather store, and find myself looking for some classes/workshops to expand my knowledge. I've looked up all the Leather guilds and workshops offered by others but I can't seem to find anything in Massachusetts or surrounding states. If I found one that was of driving distance and offered a weekend course I be happy to go to any attaching states. I'm hoping that someone can help me find any workshops/classes around my area. Also, if there are any leathercraft show schedules for the NorthEast, that may be a lead. Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,

Pat

Being also on the East Coast (NJ area), I can tell you there's a major shortage of classes hereabouts. Even finding a major show is unusual. There are on occasion shows in the Indiana and western PA/OH area, but that's as close as I've found.

Same problem in the southeast for many hours drive (outside Atlant & Orlando/Tampa areas anyways). That is a good reason we need to encourage young folk so there can be more guilds and more teachers accross the country.

Until then, I sure like some of the online tutorials found here. If we could just get that 1st hand look/critique/dialog as we progress on a project.

Thank you for the replies. I had a feeling that would be the answers, after searching on the internet. I'll guess I'll have to treat myself to some large event which would be a show and workshop offering all in one, even if I have to travel for a few days. Thank you for the replies.

Regards,

Pat

Pat, Over the years, I have heard the same remark from Easterns. Unfortunately, I think it is because leather crafting is not that popular out east. However, keep in mind that the next IFOLG show will be in Columbus Ohio in October. I am sure that it is still a haul. But, it is a lot closer than Dallas or Fort Worth (2007 IFOLG Show site). Remember though, you must be a member of a Leather Guild to enter in the competition. A couple that I can suggest are the Pitt Pounders. located near Pittsburgh and Praire State, located near Chicago. You can belong to these guilds and receive their Newsletter via the internet. Carlb

PS You don't have to be a member of any guild though to attend. Keep watch in the LC&SJ for details on the show.

The Buckeye Leathercrafters have a website coming soon. Pitt Pounders (my home guild) welcomes members even if they can't attend meetings.

Once upon a time, there was a great concentration of leather folks in Mass. when the shoe industry thrived near Lowell. Bermans has been sold now, and I don't know what all is left in New England. But Churchill Barton is in Maine, still. There have to be others.

Johanna