Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

emulsified paraffin machine thread lubricant

Campbell Bosworth just sent me a sample of their emulsified paraffin machine thread lubricant. in the bottle it has a consistency of white glue. Am I supposed to use this consistency in the lube pot or should I thin the emulsified paraffin with water?

Would it be better to use a silicon-based thread lubricant?

Thanks,

Ed

Campbell Bosworth just sent me a sample of their emulsified paraffin machine thread lubricant. in the bottle it has a consistency of white glue. Am I supposed to use this consistency in the lube pot or should I thin the emulsified paraffin with water?

Thanks,

Ed

Well, apparently this emulsified paraffin is not for use in any of the heavy duty harness stitchers. However, I did find out that it's excellent for burnishing. I may buy a gallon just for that once I work through the sample that Campbell-Bosworth sent me.

Any opinions on using Lily White oil for thread lubricant? Neatsfoot oil, pure or compound?

Ed

Well, apparently this emulsified paraffin is not for use in any of the heavy duty harness stitchers. However, I did find out that it's excellent for burnishing. I may buy a gallon just for that once I work through the sample that Campbell-Bosworth sent me.

Any opinions on using Lily White oil for thread lubricant? Neatsfoot oil, pure or compound?

Ed

Hi Ed

Why is the emulsified paraffin not for use in the heavy stitchers???? I have been using it for a long time with no problems at all Straight out of the container.

Also , I would not reccomend Neatsfoot compound or any oil as a thread lubricant. I have heard of using liquid soap but have no experiance with it.

Kind Regards

Blake

Hi Ed

Why is the emulsified paraffin not for use in the heavy stitchers???? I have been using it for a long time with no problems at all Straight out of the container.

Also , I would not reccomend Neatsfoot compound or any oil as a thread lubricant. I have heard of using liquid soap but have no experiance with it.

Kind Regards

Blake

Hi Blake,

Campbell Bosworth sent me a sample of emulsified paraffin. I wasn't sure what to do with its white glue-like consistency, so I called them up. The rep told my that it should not be used in my Juki 441/Ferdco Pro 2000/ Artisan 4000. He said it should be used only in lockstitch machines, which mine is. Maybe he thought I was referring to a different machine. He even told me that some people use Lilly White machine oil as a thread lubricant.

So, then, you just put it in the lube pot in its thick consistency? You don't dilute it? I've been told by another source taht I should get a silicone based lubricant. Do you think I whould stick with the paraffin. I do like it for edge burnishing.

Ed

Hi Blake,

Campbell Bosworth sent me a sample of emulsified paraffin. I wasn't sure what to do with its white glue-like consistency, so I called them up. The rep told my that it should not be used in my Juki 441/Ferdco Pro 2000/ Artisan 4000. He said it should be used only in lockstitch machines, which mine is. Maybe he thought I was referring to a different machine. He even told me that some people use Lilly White machine oil as a thread lubricant.

So, then, you just put it in the lube pot in its thick consistency? You don't dilute it? I've been told by another source taht I should get a silicone based lubricant. Do you think I whould stick with the paraffin. I do like it for edge burnishing.

Ed

Hi Ed

I think that they might have meant for use in Needle Awl machines only as it could leave a lot of residue in the shuttle of a lockstitch machine. I use it in my Campbell and my Landis 3 but not with my cylinder arm Chandler.

I haven't seen a need for lubricant with the modern poly threads but then again I don't do any high speed production work either.

I like the paraffin with the linen thread as it does lubricate it while sewing and adds to the longevity of the stitch by coating it somewhat and protecting it from various elements. I don't dilute it.

The Lily white oil that they speak of is pure mineral oil which doesn't attract debris like a motor oil will.

I think what you may want to use is the silicon base lubricant for your lockstitch machine.

Just my $.02 worth and you can keep the change.

Oh, Thanks for the tip about burnishing. I will have to try it.

Kind Regards

Blake

Hi Ed

I think that they might have meant for use in Needle Awl machines only as it could leave a lot of residue in the shuttle of a lockstitch machine. I use it in my Campbell and my Landis 3 but not with my cylinder arm Chandler.

I haven't seen a need for lubricant with the modern poly threads but then again I don't do any high speed production work either.

I like the paraffin with the linen thread as it does lubricate it while sewing and adds to the longevity of the stitch by coating it somewhat and protecting it from various elements. I don't dilute it.

The Lily white oil that they speak of is pure mineral oil which doesn't attract debris like a motor oil will.

I think what you may want to use is the silicon base lubricant for your lockstitch machine.

Just my $.02 worth and you can keep the change.

Oh, Thanks for the tip about burnishing. I will have to try it.

Kind Regards

Blake

Hi Blake,

After I read your first post I called CB again and told them there may have been a misunderstanding. This time someone told me that they use it in their needle and awl machines, as you do.

Your posts helped me a great deal to figure things out and ask the right questions. Thanks. I think I may just like the paraffin better for burnishing than gum trag. I've burnished two shoulder straps with it, and am very pleased.

Would you by chance know of a good source for the silicone based lubricant?

Ed

Hi Blake,

After I read your first post I called CB again and told them there may have been a misunderstanding. This time someone told me that they use it in their needle and awl machines, as you do.

Your posts helped me a great deal to figure things out and ask the right questions. Thanks. I think I may just like the paraffin better for burnishing than gum trag. I've burnished two shoulder straps with it, and am very pleased.

Would you by chance know of a good source for the silicone based lubricant?

Ed

Hi Ed

I'm surprised that CB doesn't carry the silicone lube.

I'm not sure where you are located but usually any sewing or upholstery supply house will carry it. You might try Luberto's as I think that is what he reccomends for his machines. A Google search would probably find it.

Sunbrand in Atlanta Ga. might also have it.

You sure have a lot of questions about everything and I mean that in a good way. Knowledge is what will put you on the right path.

What is your primary interest in leatherwork?

Kind Regards

Blake

Hi Ed,

Don't use that in a machine other than a needle and awl machine like the Campbell. I use the Campbell emlusion in my campbell and yes you use water to thin it, it sometimes gets a little thick setting in the pot. Use pure mineral oil in your Ferdco or Artisan, Lily Stitching oil is a good brand or you can use Silicone Thread Lube in the lube pot also. You can get Lily from Weaver. Campbell makes a machine lube that has some additives and is not pure mineral oil; I use it in the Campbell and the No 9 with no problems. It is better to use pure mineral oil for automatic and wick oilers.

In summary:

Lubricating Machines without wick or auto oilers -- Campbell machine oil or Pure Mineral Oil

Lubricating Machines with auto or wick oilers -- Pure Mineral Oil e.g. Lily

Lubricating Thread on needle and awl Stitchers -- Paraffin Emulsion e.g. Campbell

Lubricating Thread on other than neeedle and awl Stitchers -- Lily Stitching oil or Silicone Thread lube.

Art

Thanks,

Ed