Sign in to follow this  
skipj

Artisan 3000 and 4000R

When I took the holster making class at Wickenburg, we had an Artisan 3000 and 4000R on loan for the class. There was a question of whether the only difference between the two machines was only the arm length. One of our instructors felt there other differences. The difference in price, $1000, Would suggest that was true. Also, What is the number 9 I see referred to?

SkipJ

Hi Skip,

It is a different casting, a little less robust, and there is no bobbin winder. A whole bunch of the parts are the same except the shafts and headgear due to size difference, same shuttel, bobbin, needle bar etc. However on price, it is a marketing thing; things are sold not based on what they are worth, but what someone will pay for them.

On the No.9, go to Luberto's website and look at the Classic, that is what the No.9 looks like except Black. A great machine for long harness runs.

http://www.leatherstitchers.com/

Art

When I took the holster making class at Wickenburg, we had an Artisan 3000 and 4000R on loan for the class. There was a question of whether the only difference between the two machines was only the arm length. One of our instructors felt there other differences. The difference in price, $1000, Would suggest that was true. Also, What is the number 9 I see referred to?

SkipJ

Thanks Art,

Who made the No. 9? I saw the Luberto at Wickenburg. The new ones are expensive compared to the imports. Also have no reverse. Have you or anyone had dealings with the sewing machine company in Toledo OH? Their cowboy looks like the Artisan. Since I live in MI, they would be close to home if I had a problem.

SkipJ

Edited by skipj

High Skip,

The No.1 was made by Landis, the No.6 was made by Pearson, the No.9 by American Sewing Machine Company or ASC, the Classic by Tony Luberto, and the 6/6 by FERDCO. The Classic and No.9 are the best of that breed although the Pearson was also good. Tony still makes parts for the Classic and the No.9. Many of the older machines don't have reverse, not a problem, just stop and lift the presser a little and position the needle for the next stitch about half a stitch before the prior stitch to lock or turn the work around if you have something else in mind (leave needle down then up just a little when turning).

The castings for all the clones are made in the same factory or area in Tiawan or maybe even China (not sure for some of the brands but know that some are out of Zhejiang China). They are pretty much all clones of popular Juki, Consew, Pfaff, Adler and even old Singer castings. There is a big difference in price between castings from Juki and Zhejiang, not to mention availability. The parts are where the difference is in quality, fit, and finish. The Chinese are capable casters and their work is generally quite good though a little heavy; a tour of one of their foundries would send an OSHA inspector screaming into the night.

The Cowboy brand is the brainchild of Ryan Neel at Neel Saddlery and he is in North Lima Ohio which is close to you maybe? I have not had the opportunity to look at and use any of the Cowboy machines.

Art

Thanks Art,

Who made the No. 9? I saw the Luberto at Wickenburg. The new ones are expensive compared to the imports. Also have no reverse. Have you or anyone had dealings with the sewing machine company in Toledo OH? Their cowboy looks like the Artisan. Since I live in MI, they would be close to home if I had a problem.

SkipJ