Sign in to follow this  
sheathmaker

Bow Tie retention strap

Don asked in the Pasadena thread about retention straps and frogs. This is an example of my removeable bow tie retention strap for sash type sheaths. It works equally well on any type sheath where the Sam Browne or similar type stud is used.

100_0114.jpg

Paul

thats very neat and double secure better than a press stud, i like it, Don

Another great design. Very nice. I to like the post type lock.

Wow - nice!!!

So is the bowtie secured to the sheath? you mention it's removable and I wonder how you get the knife out without the bowtie coming with it...

Brent

Wow - nice!!!

So is the bowtie secured to the sheath? you mention it's removable and I wonder how you get the knife out without the bowtie coming with it...

Brent

Release one side of the bow tie and swing it around to the front of the sheath. It still hangs on the stud by one end. remove the knife...reinsert the knife and reattach the loose end. Or take it off completely if knife is just going to be dsplayed. It is not attached to the sheath.

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker

I really love your work, so clean and right, verry vice sheath:-)

This sheath is so pretty you could wear it when going to a fancy ball... :D I like it.

Beautiful job on the sheath and I like the bow tie idea also. It's unique. Where did you get the small Sam Brown post? I've not seen it from my suppliers before. I've got to create two sheaths for twin knives that a friend made with the Scottish Rite Double Eagle embedded in the handle. Your sheaths are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing with us.

Indy

Beautiful job on the sheath and I like the bow tie idea also. It's unique. Where did you get the small Sam Brown post? I've not seen it from my suppliers before. I've got to create two sheaths for twin knives that a friend made with the Scottish Rite Double Eagle embedded in the handle. Your sheaths are an inspiration! Thanks for sharing with us.

Indy

The Sam Browne studs are available several places, but I get mine from Tandy/Leather Factory. Go to their web site and enter the stock number 1309-02 (nickel) and it should take you right to them. That is the rivet back. They also have a screw back, but the rivet back sits flush when installed and the screw leaves a hump. They are also available in brass, 1309-01 I think. They also sell a little bench anvil which makes installation a breeze.

Paul