Sign in to follow this  
Kodiak

finding a decent set of bargrounders

I'm having a heck of a time finding a decent set of bargrounders. Hackbarth used to make great sets. Just got off the phone with Hidecrafters and they tell me they have discoutinued carrying them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

Try this. There are also others like Barry King, Bob Beard and others if you are interested.

Gomph-Hackbarth Tools

10754 Martineau Rd N

Elfrida, AZ 85610

Phone: 520-642-3891

Regards,

Ben

Barry King makes some nice ones, different sizes and reasonable priced.

Here try this place for Barry Kings Bargrounders. Montana Leather Company

I just bought the set of #40 3/5/7/9 from a garage sale here in Calgary, got all 4 for $5.00, and they look brand new. Also picked up a set of fancy Celtic like Basket Weave stamps by Barry for an additional $5.00. Probably never get a deal like that again.

Ken

Ken,

Were you wearing a mask at the time of purchase? GREAT DEAL!

I talked to the guys at Montana Leather - I noted that there was no tool listed that punched one pimple - they stopped at a series of 3 for all sizes. I told them you needed a one dotter to get into the smaller areas where a 3 series would not fit. I was told Barry King did not make one for only one dot. Seems kind of strange to me, but I scratched Barry King bargrounders off the list because of that.

I tried calling the Hackbarth guys this afternoon, but got a busy signal all afternoon into early evening. Left a message with Bob Beard.

You don't need the single hole for anything. I've got 3 different sets of hackbarth bargrounders and on the last set i never even bought the single cause i never use the other ones. i tooled a belt today with a very fine pattern on which i used my fine Don king bargrounders of which my smallest is a 4 hole and never had a problem with it being too big. Greg

Chuck Smith has sets of bars - starts with the 1 dot - email: olsmoothie@sbcglobal.com - his web was down when I looked: Bars

Also for more suppliers: http://www.leatherworker.net/suppliers.htm

I REALLY appreciate everyone's responses. It was incredibly helpful

I talked to Ellis Barnes today and ordered a set from him. What a guy. 85 years old and had to go to working "part time" because he just had a knee replacement. Good people.

This is my first time on the Leatherwoekers.net. I have both Hackbarth and Barry King bargrounders that I don't use anymore, don't want to sell though. The reason I bought a set of Barry Kings round and half round backgrounders and like there ease of use and the results are as good or better. Every one who has tried mine says the are a must in their tool budget. Price is $30 apiece, but you only have to buy two. If I need to make fine point I use a simple fine seed the same size. The round grounders as Barry calls them come in three sizes. Barry can be reached at 307-672-5657. Delivery has been in less than 5 days to my house. Anybody else using these round grounders, what are your thoughts