Sign in to follow this  
Sjm1027

cell phone case

I had some time today to make a cell phone case for myself and I am a little disappointed as to how it came out.

First off I am trying to learn here so I don't mind you all telling me the truth... truth is good!

I have placed a bunch of pictures on a web page so you can see in detail what I may of done wrong.

Web Page: http://sjm55.com/leather/

This project has not been stitched yet because I am not sure I will use it. I used 6 ounce leather, and a 2 ounce pigskin lining as shown in picture 10.

The template:

I had the idea to make this case all in 1 piece. Maybe I went about that in the wrong way but it is what I did. So you can see my 1 piece template in green as shown in picture 13 and 14

I folded the sides after adding a v-groove. As you can see the sides don't fold they sort of round over. Not sure I wanted this but it's not to bad. You can see in pictures 11 and 12

The next thing I did wrong was to make the front strap and snap to short. It reaches but sort of on a bend, should of brought it down another 3/4 inch then put the snap on. see picture 9

On Picture 8 my thoughts was to bend over the edge of the smaller flap and sew by hand. I just couldn't get it to bend easy enough, not to sure what happened there. I also added room for this bend in the template but ended up cutting the excess off on each end and will sew in a 45 degree angle. This is where I was getting mad at making this 1 piece and not 3 pieces making the 2 sides separate.

Edited by Sjm1027

Hey! Dont give up!! It looks like you used a piece of wood for a dummy? Right? Is it the exact size of the phone? If so all you needed to do was allow for the thickness of the leather. Maybe 1/8th or so on every bend. You can always cut it shorter- can't put it back on! something that I learned from my barber father-in law.

You may not be able to use this one but the next will be great- don't finish it until all of the piece is done. Then you can groove, dye, etc

I like the pattern- I have a friend who wants a cell case for his belt(horizontal) so be sure to post the next one AND the pattern.

Stay the course!!!

pete

Hey! Dont give up!! It looks like you used a piece of wood for a dummy? Right? Is it the exact size of the phone? If so all you needed to do was allow for the thickness of the leather. Maybe 1/8th or so on every bend. You can always cut it shorter- can't put it back on! something that I learned from my barber father-in law.

You may not be able to use this one but the next will be great- don't finish it until all of the piece is done. Then you can groove, dye, etc

I like the pattern- I have a friend who wants a cell case for his belt(horizontal) so be sure to post the next one AND the pattern.

Stay the course!!!

pete

Pete,

It actually fits pretty good, what I don't like is the curved look and the snap... the snap could of been moved down a bit.

This cell case fits a Palm Treo

Thanks

Steve

SJIM- On second look- I'de think about lining the next one with 1-1.5oz tooling calf. That way you can glue the lining in, trim it and THEN burnish the edges. The edges will look really cool and will bond on the edge.

I do key fobs that way and I use 5/6oz for DEEP tooling and back it with the calf. I dye/antique in the same color front and back and the result is really neat. It comes out looking like a thick piece of leather smooth on both sides- and you cant see where they join.

just a thought-

pea-aire'

SJIM- On second look- I'de think about lining the next one with 1-1.5oz tooling calf. That way you can glue the lining in, trim it and THEN burnish the edges. The edges will look really cool and will bond on the edge.

I do key fobs that way and I use 5/6oz for DEEP tooling and back it with the calf. I dye/antique in the same color front and back and the result is really neat. It comes out looking like a thick piece of leather smooth on both sides- and you cant see where they join.

just a thought-

pea-aire'

Thanks Pete, appreciate the feedback

Steve