For years, I've been going back and forth between applying my casing solution with a sponge dipped into a bowl of casing solution and applying it with a spray bottle. I don't like either method very well.

The sponges are kinda messy, it's hard to keep my hands from getting wet, it drips a lot, and a lot of the casing solution gets thrown out. The spray bottles are a little less wasteful because you can save the unused portions, and my hands stay dry. But they are very messy because over-spray goes everywhere, so I spend extra time keeping the mess under control.

Today, I was thinking, "There's GOT to be a better way!" I want something that

- dispenses the solution in a more controlled way than a spray bottle,

- lets me apply it without having to get my hands in it,

- safely stores the unused portion for the next project.

Hmmm... how about one of those bottles with a sponge applicator? You know, like the ones that liquid shoe polish comes in. Searched on-line, couldn't find anyone who sells them. :bawling: (You might know of someone, if so, I'd still like to know.)

Hmmm.... thinkthinkthinkthink... what is there that is LIKE a sponge bottle? :Lighten: I got it! One of those sponge-tipped dish soap dispensers. So I ran out, got one, tried it... AND IT WORKS! IT WORKS GREAT! :banana:

HandyForCasing_600.jpg

I know, I know, I'm getting way too worked up over this. But casing my projects just went from high-maintenance to low-maintenance.

If you don't like the idea, it won't hurt my feelings one bit. Everyone has their own ways they like to do things. But I haven't heard of anyone else using one of these, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Kate

post-7-1232318395_thumb.jpg

Kate,

That's brilliant, that. :thumbsup:

Great idea.

I'm trying this.

Cheers,

Karl

That's even better that what I thought of while reading your post: an envelope moistener. I may just try your idea, Kate -- it even has the added bonus of being spillproof!

Great idea, Kate! I just asked my wife if I could have the one in our kitchen... THAT wasn't a great idea. But, I'll be buying one next time I'm at the store.

It can drip a little if the sponge becomes too saturated with nothing drawing off liquid. So when I set it down, I just lean it up against something to elevate the sponge end slightly. Other than that, I've been casing leather all day today, and no muss, no fuss.

An envelope moistener... why didn't I think of that? I bet it would work, just maybe not quite as fast.

Kate

I just asked my wife if I could have the one in our kitchen... THAT wasn't a great idea.

:lol: She didn't want to give up hers? Why does that not surprise me? They're only about 3-1/2 bucks. Most families can afford more than one. :yes:

Kate

It can drip a little if the sponge becomes too saturated with nothing drawing off liquid. So when I set it down, I just lean it up against something to elevate the sponge end slightly. Other than that, I've been casing leather all day today, and no muss, no fuss.

An envelope moistener... why didn't I think of that? I bet it would work, just maybe not quite as fast.

Kate

Maybe for something small. My house is wicked dry, though, and I think that with an envelope moistener it would take so long to wet a larger piece that one end would be dry before I got to the other end!

I wouldn't have thought of using the dishwashing wand because I refuse to use them in my kitchen. I like to feel my dishes as I wash them, to be sure I've gotten everything off. Great alternate use, though! I'll have to grab one when I finally get dug out of here.

Kate awhile back I posted some PIX of this Rubbermaid Edge Paint dispenser that would also be a great contender given the criteria you mentioned. I was thinking about using it for edging belts. But with water and casing solution it would do everything you asked and more!

070042579307md.jpg

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Bree, that looks promising! Can you post a link to more detailed info on this product? Thanks!

Kate

Bree, that looks promising! Can you post a link to more detailed info on this product? Thanks!

Kate

It's called the Rubbermaid Paint Buddy, and it gets pretty decent reviews on Amazon.

For years, I've been going back and forth between applying my casing solution with a sponge dipped into a bowl of casing solution and applying it with a spray bottle. I don't like either method very well.

The sponges are kinda messy, it's hard to keep my hands from getting wet, it drips a lot, and a lot of the casing solution gets thrown out. The spray bottles are a little less wasteful because you can save the unused portions, and my hands stay dry. But they are very messy because over-spray goes everywhere, so I spend extra time keeping the mess under control.

Today, I was thinking, "There's GOT to be a better way!" I want something that

- dispenses the solution in a more controlled way than a spray bottle,

- lets me apply it without having to get my hands in it,

- safely stores the unused portion for the next project.

Hmmm... how about one of those bottles with a sponge applicator? You know, like the ones that liquid shoe polish comes in. Searched on-line, couldn't find anyone who sells them. :bawling: (You might know of someone, if so, I'd still like to know.)

Hmmm.... thinkthinkthinkthink... what is there that is LIKE a sponge bottle? :Lighten: I got it! One of those sponge-tipped dish soap dispensers. So I ran out, got one, tried it... AND IT WORKS! IT WORKS GREAT! :banana:

HandyForCasing_600.jpg

I know, I know, I'm getting way too worked up over this. But casing my projects just went from high-maintenance to low-maintenance.

If you don't like the idea, it won't hurt my feelings one bit. Everyone has their own ways they like to do things. But I haven't heard of anyone else using one of these, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Kate

HA ha, good thinking Kate! I bought one of those some months back ago thinking it'll be useful for something but I was leaning towards odd tecniques of applying spirit dye but this is a brilliant idea.

Good finding Kate, I'm gonna try it even tough I like my technique with wetting my leathers under the tap with running water.

Tom

Edited by TomSwede

HA ha, good thinking Kate! I bought one of those some months back ago thinking it'll be useful for something but I was leaning towards odd tecniques of applying spirit dye but this is a brilliant idea.

Good finding Kate, I'm gonna try it even tough I like my technique with wetting my leathers under the tap with running water.

Tom

Ooh. Using it to apply dye is an interesting idea, too. I'd just want to be sure to really rinse the sponge well; regular sponges that you hold in your hand seem to have soap in them from the get-go and I turned blue dye green by inadvertently using a soapy sponge.

Ooh. Using it to apply dye is an interesting idea, too. I'd just want to be sure to really rinse the sponge well; regular sponges that you hold in your hand seem to have soap in them from the get-go and I turned blue dye green by inadvertently using a soapy sponge.

Good idea and for you my friend I hope the experience didn't come out to costly!!

Tom

Good idea and for you my friend I hope the experience didn't come out to costly!!

Tom

No, it was fine. Definitely a learning experience. I try to do new techniques on scraps (not in this case, but it wasn't a big piece). At least now I know what NOT to do.