Kustomizer

One more question, cutting seat leather

OK, one more question about my first seat. I'm guessing that the top piece of leather should be the same shape but larger because of the padding then the bottom? I used some project paper to cut out some templates to use and the top is larger, but the shape is a bit wider on the sides and a little bit shorter on the ends and that just doesn't seem right to me, but I'm not sure. I've checked it three or four times and it measures out that way every time, but when I think it through I keep thinking it should be the same shape, just bigger. The seat pan is a small solo seat. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Ok, I'm not real sure how other folks do it, but I have a system that works for me every time (it has so far). I take and old dark t-shirt and cut a piece large enough to cover the entire seat with plenty of extra... Then I lay the t-shirt over the seat and begin to secure it on the bottom of the pan. I basically cover the seat with t-shirt but not so tight that it mishapes the t-shirt. By doing this, you create a pattern that is flexible enough to contour the seat, but will lay flat when you go to cut it...

I use dark t-shirts so my WHITE grease pencil can mark on them easily.

Once I have the t-shirt secured to the seat pan, I use a grease pencil to mark a seam (or the edge of the pan).

HPIM2957.JPG

HPIM2958.JPG

HPIM2959.JPG

Once I've marked all my lines I remove the t-shirt from the seat, lay it out on the table and let it lay flat. Don't force it flat! Just work it until it lays down. Tape the edges to a piece of posterboard so that as you cut your pattern, the t-shirt doesn't shift and ruin the shape. Once you have it all taped down, take your rotary cutter and follow the grease pencil lines.

HPIM2960.JPG

HPIM2962.JPG

HPIM2963.JPG

HPIM2964.JPG

Now you have a perfectly shaped pattern to work with!

HPIM2965.JPG

!! REMEMBER !!

This method is designed to capture the shape of the finished piece of leather. Don't forget about your seam allowances if you plan to sew. However, if you plan to LACE your seat, you end up with perfectly shaped pieces!

HPIM2981.JPG

HPIM2982.JPG

I hope this helps!

post-6344-1234179317_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1234179337_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1234179347_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1234179421_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1234179470_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1234179494_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1234179504_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1234179563_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1234181259_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1234181277_thumb.jpg

OK, one more question about my first seat. I'm guessing that the top piece of leather should be the same shape but larger because of the padding then the bottom? I used some project paper to cut out some templates to use and the top is larger, but the shape is a bit wider on the sides and a little bit shorter on the ends and that just doesn't seem right to me, but I'm not sure. I've checked it three or four times and it measures out that way every time, but when I think it through I keep thinking it should be the same shape, just bigger. The seat pan is a small solo seat. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

If the bottom of the pan is contoured, the bottom piece will be a bit larger, and different in shape than the top piece.

Great writeup Troy and the pics are excellent. That looks like it will work out great.

Thanks Troy, that looks like the way to go, thanks!

Hope it works for you!

Troy

For the seat you showed in this thread, are you lacing the bottom or riveting it? can you show pix if you're lacing it? Thanks for the help.

TinyL

Troy

For the seat you showed in this thread, are you lacing the bottom or riveting it? can you show pix if you're lacing it? Thanks for the help.

TinyL

I plan to rivet another lip to the pan then lace the two together... I'll post pics (next couple of days)