Bob

Work bench

Just thought I would give another idea for workbenches. When we remodeled our kitchen, I used two base cabinets and made a top to bridge them. The top is made of two by fours, ran through a table saw to leave a square edge. I used them on edge so my top is about three and one quarter inch thick. If you use readi bolt {threaded rod} you can bolt them together tightly. Glue between each layer and make sure you drill a slightly oversize hole so you can keep your top flat. Contersink the two by fours on the front and back with a large drill bit and use heavy washers when you tighten them up. You can screw the last board on the front to cover the washers and nuts. Use a belt sander to level and smooth the top. This really makes a solid bench, no support needed if you set it on the cabinets and fasten it just like the original counter top. I also used the old wall cabinets above for storage. This works great for me. You can use a router to inlay your stone or just frame it with something like quarter round to keep it from moving.

John

Bob,

One thing i really like is the magnetic tool holder strips. I found them at my local Lowes. Here is a picture of my little work bench. The pic is a little crooked. Whatever bench you make or use...it has to be STURDY!! You are sooooo right. Peter Main has the ultimate shop!!!

PB290017.JPG

post-121-1204646167_thumb.jpg

Bob,

One thing i really like is the magnetic tool holder strips. I found them at my local Lowes. Here is a picture of my little work bench. The pic is a little crooked. Whatever bench you make or use...it has to be STURDY!! You are sooooo right. Peter Main has the ultimate shop!!!

Sandy what is that on the right side of your bench that looks like a 2x6 or a 2x8 with groves cut into it?

Jason

Sandy what is that on the right side of your bench that looks like a 2x6 or a 2x8 with groves cut into it?

Jason

Jason,

That is a strop for my edgers. I got that from Weaver Leather. They are individual pieces of leather that have been cut to fit the grooves. You just put the polishing compound on them and you are good to go.

Sandy

How do most of you arrange and store your stamping tools around your stamping bench? I know everybody probably has a different preference but I am wanting to rebuild my bench and possibly change the way I keep the tools handy. I've seen somethat use chap leather to make small pockets that hold several tools in each pocket laying in front of the stamping stone and some that use the blocks with holes that keep the tools upright. Maybe there's another method.

Let me know what you prefer.

Thanks,

Doug

I've been using this little setup for a while. It's nice and sturdy and everything is close. The tabletop is 3/4" MDF very dense and takes dings and cuts well.

post-40466-0-27616700-1365032624_thumb.j

I'm building a new bench as we'll. what should I be paying for that 4"tooling slab. Right now I'm getting one for 175 bucks

I'm building a new bench as we'll. what should I be paying for that 4"tooling slab. Right now I'm getting one for 175 bucks

Go to Enco's website and look under surface plates. They have them on sale pretty regular and sometimes with free shipping.

Harbor Freight sells a pretty nice oak work bench with a solid wood top, side vice, and drawers. I actually have two of these benches. They work good for cutting leather because they have a solid wood top, fairly long, and have plenty of storage.

2011-08-17210951.jpg

Thank you Sooo much for the info gang. Saved me work AND money. Much appreciated.

I recently went to my local grave marker guy who had quoted me $175 for a 3 inch slab. This time it was the grave marker gal who gave me a grave marker for 75 bucks because it was ugly. She told me that when they get them they have to be to a certain quality or they just throw them in their bone yard. No pun intended. So if ygour ever looking for a new slab and don't mind that all the colors aren't perfect, ....we'll it saved me a $100 bucks and she told me it's not uncommon.

I also acquired some rivets,snaps, and misc supplies from some one who was into leather many years ago. What I noticed was that they were of a much higher quality than what I have been buying from most of the vendors I know that are.available today. I would gladly pay more for this type of quality if I could find them. Are they out there anywhere?

I felt it was time to upload a couple pictures of the bench. It's been finished for years now, was just stumbling around here yesterday and found this post I started a few years ago. Here's what I've come up with.

post-5571-0-97734200-1389385347_thumb.jppost-5571-0-91712700-1389385395_thumb.jp

Thats nice Bob!!! What did you use for the top?

Thanks,

Chris

I felt it was time to upload a couple pictures of the bench. It's been finished for years now, was just stumbling around here yesterday and found this post I started a few years ago. Here's what I've come up with.

post-5571-0-97734200-1389385347_thumb.jppost-5571-0-91712700-1389385395_thumb.jp

Wow, nice! Looks as if your splitter slides out so you can put iy away when not in use, am I correct? What splitter is that anyway? Also like the use of the magnetic tool holders.The bench itself is beautiful as well.

Jeremy

Edited by J Hayes

Yes, the splitters comes out and there are other boards with different tools that also fit in that spot. A rounder for one and also a pinking machine as well. I think the magnetic tool holders work well for many things. Clearly not all tools though. It wasn't that expensive to build either. I hired a local fella with some skills and we used birch because it's plentiful around here and looks nice. I like having all the drawers for storage.

Thats nice Bob!!! What did you use for the top?

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Chris, the granite slab is a grave marker that wasn't used.... :cowgirl: I purchased it from the local shop, it's about 3.5 or 4 inches thick. The rest of the bench top is made from "area board", some call it "puck board". It's available in different thicknesses, it's basiclly hard plastic. My knife is not damaged by it, not does it cut too deep into it either. I dn't mind using it at all. The cutting table in the middle of the shop is also covered with the same stuff.

Thanks Chris, the granite slab is a grave marker that wasn't used.... :cowgirl: I purchased it from the local shop, it's about 3.5 or 4 inches thick. The rest of the bench top is made from "area board", some call it "puck board". It's available in different thicknesses, it's basiclly hard plastic. My knife is not damaged by it, not does it cut too deep into it either. I dn't mind using it at all. The cutting table in the middle of the shop is also covered with the same stuff.

Thank you Bob, where did you purchase that from? I like the look of it!

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, it is available from our local hardware store. In Kamloops BC Canada at the Rona building supply store. It's about 100 dollars for a 4x8 sheet.

Love the magnet idea!

I need to revamp my workshop, just trying to get the time!

I have a 3m x 1.5 cutting bench with 1 piece of HDPE atop of it - picked up 2 tables 1.5m sq for $150 ea at a seconds store and the HDPE was a little pricey but absolutely worth it - a dream to cut on.

I was thinking of making a little table with wheels - like some people have in their kitchen, so I could have my most used tools on it and move it around my workshop...

Keep the pics coming - fantastic to see what other people are using!

Cheers

Josh

I recently built a table for my workshop... it's 4 foot by 8 foot...

I used a 3/4" thick piece of oak plywood as the top. I built a frame out of 2"x6"s, the same way you would build a wall, and then attached the plywood to the top, making sure to countersink all the screws. Then, I cut a 6"x6" and made legs. The table is INSANELY sturdy and cost me around $150 after everything.

I opted to put down a cutting mat instead of granite on top of my table, so that I could lay out large pieces of leather and not have to shift them around while cutting. I bought a 4 foot by 6 foot cutting mat from here - http://www.speedpress.com/products/2/1 - This mat was $120 after shipping. I have punched holes, large holes, strap ends, stitching holes... and it takes the damage extremely well.

My workbench table is awesome. I could practically park a car on it. I'll have to try and remember to get pictures of it later this evening. On one end of the table, I have a 300 pound sheet metal press / roller / brake. It's about 2 foot by 4 foot... it takes up almost all the space that isn't covered by my cutting mat. On the opposite end of the table, I have a hand press mounted on one corner, and a tippman boss sewing machine mounted on the other corner.

This is a really nice looking set up Bob, one of the best I have seen

Not surprised it was from a guy in Kamloops BC.....I was born and raised there until left for University

Scott

I finished mine as we'll. I did the same recess with my slap too. Really came out nice and I was going to attach some pics but after seeing Deadlances I won't be doing that. That thing is beautiful man. Mine is nice but nowhere as we'll organized . Nice!