Sign in to follow this  
Lee Jr

Best type of thread for outside

I would like opinions on the best type of thread ( nylon, polyester,linen ect. ) for saddles , motorcycle seats - stuff that will be out in the weather for part of the time. I have been told that nylon will rot if out in the weather (rain, sun), Lee Jr.

IMO the nylon is the choice. I have noticed more rot on linen and some old Poly thread, but as far as on motorcycle seats, I have no idea. Sure the saddle is out in the weather, but I doesn't typically stay outside. Agood saddle costs too much just to let rot away. Anyway, I think that the leather itself would be compromised before the thread if it was left outside.

Edited by TracyMoss

It would depend on how much the item is outside

Nylon is more water resistant but sunlight degredation is it's enemy.

didn't we all drive a poo box as our first car and the seat belts (if fitted at all) were hard and brittle. That's Nylon and sunlight degredation.

ever had a kids trampoline outside and the stitches gave up the ghost or had a tonneau cover with rotted stitching. again more than likely nylon and sunlight degredation.

Let me see what hard core government documentation I can tap into when I'm on shift tonight EG ASTM

Barra

Here's a site that may answer all your questions. Look in the Product Information at the different threads and their specs.

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merc...CFQt0YAodhn0iUQ

According to the information listed here Polyester would be the better choice for outdoor use. Sunlight (UV) degrades nylon much more than Polyester and Poly holds up better to mildew/water.

John

Edited by gunfighter48

Here's a site that may answer all your questions. Look in the Product Information at the different threads and their specs.

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merc...CFQt0YAodhn0iUQ

According to the information listed here Polyester would be the better choice for outdoor use. Sunlight (UV) degrades nylon much more than Polyester and Poly holds up better to mildew/water.

John

Thanks John for that web sight, there is alot of thread info there that i did not know, Lee Jr