McJeep

What are these tools?

I was just lucky enough to be given a few tools from a friend (they were his aunt's)

A few stamps, mostly ones I had but better quality (everything's from the fifties) and these things that I'm not sure about. I figure that the one is for running a double bead on leather? But the other ones (I have 3 of them) have me baffled - mebbe something to do with lacing? The hole through the middle is larger at one end than the other and the ring around the middle is made of a heavy rubber. For all any of us know, it might not be a leather tool at all but just something that ended up in the box. LOL

Any help's appreciated :0)

Rob

preview_img_39350.jpg

preview_img_39360.jpg

preview_img_39370.jpg

preview_img_39380.jpg

preview_img_39390.jpg

Edited by McJeep

I wonder if those 3 brass things are "weights" for braiding

are they all alike in size (like they would be a set of something)

I wonder if those 3 brass things are "weights" for braiding

are they all alike in size (like they would be a set of something)

Hmmmmm, that would make sense - not solid brass but they do have some heft to them - yup, all look identical

They look a lot like the weights on the ends of the curtain pulls at my parent's house when I was a very young child. The rubber eventually cracked away so the metal hit the wall when you closed the curtains. Before that the rubber protected the walls. No idea if that is right or not. Just what they reminded me of.

They look a lot like the weights on the ends of the curtain pulls at my parent's house when I was a very young child. The rubber eventually cracked away so the metal hit the wall when you closed the curtains. Before that the rubber protected the walls. No idea if that is right or not. Just what they reminded me of.

LOL that makes perfect sense too, I think I remember things like that (implying that I don't remember a lot of my youth, not that you're older than me ;0) It would explain the taper of the hole so the knot would be hidden inside the weight.

the answer is out there hehehe

The first one looks like a tool a bookbinder would use, simply because there is not a lot of depth to it, & it seems to be more dull & rounded than a creaser tends to be. While it could be a creaser, bookbinders generally use tools that don't have a lot of depth, because the leathers they work with are VERY thin as opposed to the thicknesses leathercrafters generally work with. Pure speculation on my part... :dunno:

What the others are, I don't have a clue.

could the first one be a "gaget" to put screens in screen doors?

Wine - I know that the previous owner was fond of making purses etc - you might be right on the being used for thinner leathers thing

Suze - I don't think so - I have one of those and they have wheels on em instead of grooves - that and this would be pretty fancy to use for doing that type of work

Keep the ideas comin folks! We'll figure this out LOL I'm really starting to think that the curtain pull weights might be what the other things are

Wine - I know that the previous owner was fond of making purses etc - you might be right on the being used for thinner leathers thing

Suze - I don't think so - I have one of those and they have wheels on em instead of grooves - that and this would be pretty fancy to use for doing that type of work

Keep the ideas comin folks! We'll figure this out LOL I'm really starting to think that the curtain pull weights might be what the other things are

ok - will give on that one and I think the curtain pulls might be right -- although I could use them for braid weights as well.

I'm a crafter, NOTHING is safe, and there is a second use for everything

NOTHING is safe, and there is a second use for everything

Absolutely 200% agree - ergo they will not go out in the garbage, but hide somewhere in my shop for decades till I come up with a good use for them LOL :)

Absolutely 200% agree - ergo they will not go out in the garbage, but hide somewhere in my shop for decades till I come up with a good use for them LOL :)

well they could always be parts for a "ray gun"

wonder if anyone won it yet == must check

okay????? officially lost me now LOL

okay????? officially lost me now LOL

Tom Banwell with the steampunk mask made a raygun out of odds and ends (there was a winner for WHICH odds and ends he used) Like a sink facuet - chess rook - air nozzle

look up the Pacadermous mask in show off

Tom Banwell with the steampunk mask made a raygun out of odds and ends (there was a winner for WHICH odds and ends he used) Like a sink facuet - chess rook - air nozzle

look up the Pacadermous mask in show off

Aaaah, now that you mention it, I did see those pics

The first one looks like a tool a bookbinder would use, simply because there is not a lot of depth to it, & it seems to be more dull & rounded than a creaser tends to be. While it could be a creaser, bookbinders generally use tools that don't have a lot of depth, because the leathers they work with are VERY thin as opposed to the thicknesses leathercrafters generally work with. Pure speculation on my part... :dunno:

What the others are, I don't have a clue.

in the english n aussie saddle trade they have a tool they call an edging iron.you heat th point and when it gets fairly hot you push it into a block of bees wax and run it down a dyed edge whilst wax is runny.kinda antiquated these days i think,could be so for thin leather eh pete

You're right about the first tool being a beader. It looks like one for tooling a single bead. I suspect that would be for doing a bead that doesn't follow a knife cut or edge since both sides seem to be the same height. Here are photos of a couple of mine. The other picture shows the bead put on the edge of a design. That bead was done with the smaller of the two in the second photo.

Edger.JPG

edgers1.JPG

Border005.JPG

post-9641-1236315737_thumb.jpg

post-9641-1236315759_thumb.jpg

post-9641-1236316042_thumb.jpg

Edited by MarshalWill

You're right about the first tool being a beader. It looks like one for tooling a single bead. I suspect that would be for doing a bead that doesn't follow a knife cut or edge since both sides seem to be the same height. Here are photos of a couple of mine. The other picture shows the bead put on the edge of a design. That bead was done with the smaller of the two in the second photo.

Hah! excellent :0) Good thing cuz that's what I was going to use it for anyway ;0)

Rob

Hah! excellent :0) Good thing cuz that's what I was going to use it for anyway ;0)

Some tools just make sense, don't they? :thumbsup: I use mine a lot. It adds a nice touch to edges of things. To follow an edge, I tip mine slightly toward the beveled side and run it along firmly. On a second pass, it will usually work fine stood straight up.

I think the second tool could be a burnishing wheel of some sort