bruce johnson

About stitching horses

Years ago...back in the 70's, Bill Porters Sadlle Shop, here in Phoenix, purchased some stitching horses that were made of steel. They had forged clamps and all the linkage to operate the clamps was located below the seat so that the entire clamp was open to hold leather. They were extremely strong and comfortable with padded seats. Has anyone ever run across one of these or know if they are still being made?

Bob

These were probably from Old Harry downs from Frankston, Vic, Australia. He did tell me he sent several lots the the US. Someone told me they had a set, now I can't remember who it was to get a copy. It worked with a car spring on the out side from memory. I actually had a set and they were strong, good for learners.

Kindest Regards. Jim.

Jim,

Do you have any suggestions for making a general purpose clamp set? What about overall dimensions? Are they hinged at the bottom? Please tell us newbie's more. You've always have great stuff.

Cheers!

Lippy Thankyou for your kind comments,

I will try to get a photo posted of several Clams including a hinged one made from a piece of 3" x 3" pine that is hinged. For the best Clams though they should be Steamed or you can cheat by using Boiling Water on the ends to be Bent. If you can get Hickory, Oak, Spotted Gum, Lemon Wood or any flexible Hardwood in aprox 4 x 5/8" double Dressed. Keep pouring Boiling water on aprox 12" from the best end. You make a jig to form the bend about the thickness of a house Brick, in fact I saw a Brick used once to form Clams. the idea is to force the heated timber into the size curve you want plus a bit more, by Clamping down on the timber to hold the shape. Let it dry for a few days then release it. If you have soaked it (or Steamed) well enough and it is hot enough it will only spring back a small amount. Then you get at the 2 halves with a Horse Shoe Rasp and shape your Clams identically (Mirror Image) to suit. Then champfer the inside of the Jaws so that they will allow the working edge to come to-gether. I actually like this edge to be prominent for Strap stitching and flat to-gether for Saddle Flaps and the like (less likely to scratch). These are then Screwed to-gether at the bottom end and a Heavy Screw is used 1/3rd of the way up to provede tension.

The Hinged Clam is simply cut out on a Band Saw to shape, sanded till it looks and feels right then one jaw is sawn off and and a Hinge screwed to re-join it and a 5/16 Bolt Wing Nut used to tighten the Jaws to-gether. A Seat Spring is used between the Jaws to open them (Bolt goes through the Spring). A long flap of Apron Split is used as a cover so the Thread doesn't catch the Wing Nut.

Please excuse me delaying the Photo's as I can't work out how to get them loaded so I'll work on it.

Kindest Regards.

Jim.

Barra's Clams can be made also by the Steam method and just insert a Leg into the Jaws.

These were probably from Old Harry downs from Frankston, Vic, Australia. He did tell me he sent several lots the the US. Someone told me they had a set, now I can't remember who it was to get a copy. It worked with a car spring on the out side from memory. I actually had a set and they were strong, good for learners.

Kindest Regards. Jim.

That sounds right Jim, I had forgotten about the spring, but I think there was one. Thanks....wish I could find a pic of one....

Bob

Jim.

Barra's Clams can be made also by the Steam method and just insert a Leg into the Jaws.

As per the smaller set of clams in the photo with the 2 sets.

Barra

Bob,

Good luck.... I have had my eyes peeled for about a decade for one of those.

Regards,

Ben

Now that I think about it, I may know where one got to....finding the saddlemaker may take some doing. IF I can find her, I'll bet she would let me take pictures.....