Sign in to follow this  
Ravenquille

Best way to create Eyelet/Grommet Lacing in a skirt?

Hi,

I would like to add Eyelet/Grommet Lacing to both sides of a leather skirt.

I would be opening both side seams completely, and thought 00 size grommets would be a good size to use. I don't know the weight of the leather, but it is soft, not very heavy.

? Is a lightweight leather ( doublethickness, seam folded over ) thick enough to use grommets without an additional interfacing in an application like this?

( Lacing would not be taking any stress or pulling; just for looks, and basically increasing size evenly on both sides ( existing short rear waistline zipper will not close ). )

Thanks,

Ravenquille

IF I WERE TO DO THAT I WOULD USE GROMENTS THE SMALEST SIZE YOU CAN FIND.

now this is from a sewing standpoint not a leather one so take it for what you paid for it -- zippo

I would think that ANY eyelets on the side seams are going to take some stress - unless you never plan on sitting down, or moving...

I have NEVER had good luck with setting eyelets on any seam that takes even a little bit of stress (I do ren clothing for myself)

Have you thought about opening up the seams and putting some sort of decrotive gusset in them? different color of leather with an applique out from the sides would look like it was done with intent and not just a slash to make the skirt bigger.

(don't you hate it when the closet shrinks your clothes >grin<)

using eyelets/grommets with a washer back will help. as long as there isn't too much stress put on them, you shouldn't have much of a prob.

I'm with Suze on this one, if it already needs to be let out, there will be stress, oh yeah. If the leather is thin enough, just setting the grommets might cut it. At first I was thinking like leather washers on the inside, but I don't think that would do anything. I would say you have to stitch in a lining piece where the grommets will go to spread the stress over a larger area.

Kevin

I was thinking about this some more -- If you want to see what the stress points are maybe you could take an old fabric skirt that is the same size and chop it up the sides and punch some holes in it (use some elmers glue on the material to stiffen it up)

and lace it up and then do some things in it --- like sit down and see what happens

the body changes shape when you do things like move and sit.

I can just see you doing all kinds of work on this and the first time you wear it -- you shread out all the holes.....

and are YOU going to be showing through the laceing or are you going to line the skirt with something -- that could make a difference too. the lining could be taking stress instead of the lacing.

[and lace it up and then do some things in it --- like sit down and see what happens

the body changes shape when you do things like move and sit.

I can just see you doing all kinds of work on this and the first time you wear it -- you shread out all the holes.....

and are YOU going to be showing through the laceing or are you going to line the skirt with something -- that could make a difference too. the lining could be taking stress instead of the lacing.

( Ravenquille )

Yes, open at the lacing, skin visible.

The skirt is already lined with a lightweight lining like you see in a raincoat; nothing affecting form, just the usual clothing lining function.

I looked at a couple of skirts which had side lacing to get an idea of how this feature had been handled. One skirt was of a light weight similar to the one I want to work on, and the other was of a much heavier leather.

The heavier leather skirt was just simply cut, grommeted and laced; raw edge, no lining or reinforcement at the lacing areas. Had a fabric glued down to the leather, tacked here and there, for the basic body area of the skirt, however.

The thinner leather skirt had folded down edges with a firm interfacing in the folds, grommeting into leather and this interfacing, with glue-down/pressdown for a smooth appearance. Neither had grommets with washer backs.

So, what kind of interfacing material do you think would be the best for the grommet area?

Something more stiff, or just the usual sort of thing you use to do simple clothing interfacing?

Ravenquille

( Thanks for your ideas, everyone! )

hmmm... I just figured you'd have the fold too. maybe try some of the thick heatbond stuff.

hmmm... I just figured you'd have the fold too. maybe try some of the thick heatbond stuff.

Hi Drac,

Not sure what the 'thick heatbond stuff' is exactly. Can you give me a link or a product name so I can check it out?

I looked at your website.....absolutely awesome. Checked out a few sites belonging to other friends of yours as well. I am blown away by the creativity, design and expertise, WOW!

Ravenquille