That is just totally awesome!!!!

I'm almost scared to ask how you did the "diamonds" but you know enquiring minds want to know!!

Kev

This will be a quick explanation on how I did the tooling and dyeing.

The first picture is the pattern layed out.

I cut it out and swivel cut the eyes, the two lines by the eyes, and the nostrals.

Beveled those and the two half circles (not cut) on the head. And double beveled the rattler with B997, length wise and across between each button.

Went down both sides with veiner 412 and on the nose, on the half circles on the head and behind the eyes on the head.

I put the "scales" in with mule foot 853 on the head and in the diamonds the whole length of the snake.

The dyeing I used a light brown on the small triangles on the sides.

Then a medium or dark brown in the diamonds and out to the sides like the paper shows.

Then I used a chocolate streak through the center of each diamond like in the picture.

I also ran a light brown streak where I beveled on the rattler to give it some depth.

I know this was kinda breif but it wasn't to complicated.

And like I said before it is in Al Stohlman's book "Belts Galore" with the full size pattern and better instructions.

Hope this helps!

Well, I gotta go clean up vinergaroon off my wife's counter before she gets home and......Too Late.

samples_130__Medium_.jpg

samples_131__Medium_.jpg

samples_134__Medium_.jpg

samples_136__Medium_.jpg

post-7801-1236714461_thumb.jpg

post-7801-1236714474_thumb.jpg

post-7801-1236714489_thumb.jpg

post-7801-1236714503_thumb.jpg

that is completely, totally the coolest..hmmm how's it work?

Thanks, Tom.

Seeing you post kinda makes me think a snake pattern would look cool on a pair of bracers - Huh Tom!

Do you know of anyone who makes killer bracers??

I would like to try it out on something else too, just don't know what yet.

And Thanks to all you others who took the time to post, I appreciate it!

Aha, do I sense a challenge;-) I'm sure yours would come out better looking!!

It sure would look good on bracers and I've been wanting to test and learn how to makes scales so maybe I can squeeze a pair in with some scrap leather some day but don't count on it. I've got my hands full with stuff at the moment.

Very good looking belt, just gotta tell you again!!!!

Tom

Casey,

That is really nice! I like the subtle use of stitching and lacing on the head to provide the details.

Aha, do I sense a challenge;-) I'm sure yours would come out better looking!!

It sure would look good on bracers and I've been wanting to test and learn how to makes scales so maybe I can squeeze a pair in with some scrap leather some day but don't count on it. I've got my hands full with stuff at the moment.

Very good looking belt, just gotta tell you again!!!!

Tom

Challange? You bet! I know with your skill you won't dissipoint. Just don't forget the pictures!!!

Thanks for the comments Tom.

MattW

Thanks for responding. I was worried the stitching would not look good, but I had to do it and it worked out pretty good.

that is completely, totally the coolest..hmmm how's it work?

I guess I kinda overlooked that.

I didn't take pictures of the back of the original, so I will explain here.

I cut a piece off a coat hanger (because I'm cheap and it worked) bent it in a tight loop and then bent it to a 90 degree angle.

Make sure it is a heavy coat hanger. (don't be cheap - spend the extra money)

Made a tracing of the head and down aways on the plug and then skived it to a feather. Punched a hole for the hook, 1/2" from the nose, put that in and punched a hole for the rivit and then rivited the hook on.

Traced the snake on the lining leather (white paper) and punched a hole for the hook.

For the tounge I used a piece of lace, about 4" long. Cut a small slit about 1" from one end and put the hook through the slit and run the other end out where the mouth should be.

Glued the plug with the hook on and then the lining leather.

I hand stitched just behind the eye along the bevel line to the end of the bevel on both sides.

Edged both sides,dyed the edges dark brown and slicked them. Finished with Tan Kote.

Then I cut the tounge to the right length and split the end in a "v".

The other end has holes just like any other belt, following the contours.

Hope this helps, sorry for overlooking it.

samples_139__Medium_.jpg

samples_141__Medium_.jpg

post-7801-1236798139_thumb.jpg

post-7801-1236798148_thumb.jpg

Works great. Pretty!