Kustomizer

1st Motorcycle Seat

Just wanted to post a pic of my first motorcycle seat. There are a few mistakes, but I learned a ton and hope to correct those on the second seat I'm working on. Still have to put the final finish/protection on yet, but here it is:

myfirstseat.jpg

What should I use for the final protection/finish?

Nice, I like it alot.

As far as finishes, I've used just about everything, Super sheen, Aussie wax, neutral shoe polish, pecards, anything that will have a flexible finish will work.

The pecards and aussie wax ( the better choices for weather proofing) take a while to dry so make sure to use a light coat and rub it into the leather, then buff it out when dry ( I usually leave it overnight to dry).

The super sheen works good as finish, but you have to be careful applying it, if you leave streaks you'll see them when its dry and you can't buff them out. Some people spray it on with nice results. I've found that more than two coats of super sheen is a little too shiny for my taste, like a patent leather look. It also doesn't repel water very well if exposed to heavy rain and such.

The owner of the shop I make seats for likes the super sheen for all his production seats. Sometimes, if I leave too many streaks, i will rub in some neutral shoe polish and buff that to a shine to hide them.

There's a ton of options out there and as long as it dries and dries flexible it should be fine to use on a motorcycle seat. Some options are more weather resistant than others.

Some people have talked about using neatlaque, I never have cause I was told its not very flexible when it dries, but I dont know from experience.

I hope this helps you and again, the seat looks cool.

John

That seat is very cool. I like that rich brown color. I use Leather Balm with Atom wax. It's what David recomended and it works well

Scott

I have Dr. Jacksons Hide Rejuvenator, will that work good?

Such a nice seat I love the two tone effect. How do you get such a clean divide between the two colours?

It looks fantastic! I love the lettering.

I think it's a GREAT looking seat! I think a little changeup in the waves to make them stand out with more contrast would have been awesome looking but, for your first seat attempt, I think it's OUTSTANDING!

I think you may have found your calling!

Very nice...great design and layout.....and craftsmanship.

Question, I'm not a biker nor have I ever covered a seat....how well does the lacing hold up over time? I see most bike seats are done with lace, I just wondered how it holds up after constantly rubbing your legs across it.

Thanks.

R

That's amazing looking!

Thanks for the kind words.

Sasquach I used 3 coats of Super Sheen on the Koi and letters.

Troy I tried using just one coat Satin sheen on the edges of the waves to get some more contrast in the waves, but they turned out splotchy, so I had to use Acetone on it to remove the Satin Sheen and re-apply the stain, any other idea's?

Rayban, not sure how the lacing holds up.

Again, thanks for the kind words, it means a lot coming from you guys (and Gals)

I'd put it in a glass case! Fantastic job.

Art

Naaaa, It's beautiful just the way it is! Merely an observation for future projects! Great Job!

That is one helluva job you done for being your first seat,

congrats on a job well done

Lui