Greywynd

Granite slabs for tooling and sharpening

Thanks Tom. I just placed an order.

They came in yesterday and work great!

Anyway a good source might be to check with any local monument makers for their cast offs.

Just clarifying Billy..... monument makers you mean gravestone makers and carvers right? I've heard others say about using headstones..... I think I would REALLY want to clean the heck out of one of those.... Dont want that nasty death energy going into my work.... yeah im a weird superstitious one.

After reading everyones post about flat surfaces to tool and sharpen on. I'll tell you what I use for a flat surface and it works quite well for sharpening. A piece of thick glass. Glass is hot rolled and is cooled as its rolled. It makes a great surface for sharpening and its dead flat.

I use a repo'd grave stone. They are made up the street from me and some people wont pay and they take them back.

It's a sorry human being who won't pay for a grave marker.

I was thinking of ordering my headstone early, just in case. Until that day comes, I can use it for tooling and stamping. They can put the "expiration date" on it when I'm gone. Kinda "kill 2 birds" so to speak...LOL

I was thinking of ordering my headstone early, just in case. Until that day comes, I can use it for tooling and stamping. They can put the "expiration date" on it when I'm gone. Kinda "kill 2 birds" so to speak...LOL

Frank, that is real good thinking!

Tony.

Probably a good plan. Avoids the death energy that somebody was worried about. Maybe I'll go ahead and order mine, too. That way, if you don't pay for yours, I'll go get it and use it to tool. I won't pay for mine and you can go get mine and tool on it. We'll just hold for each other and both get a good deal, courtesy of the repo man that way.

NEWFUNNYPOST.gif

I'm glad my morbid thoughts and ideas can make people laugh.

For anyone in the Chicago area looking for a granite slab checkout factory direct in Bensenville out by O'Hare. I just picked up two pieces of granite ( 24"x18"x1.25" & 48"x32"x1.25") for free. They just toss remnants out back on palettes and are happy to have people haul it away since they pay to have it removed.