jwwright

Tippman Boss Sewing Machines

I have a question about the Tippmann Boss machine. I remember reading some comments about them pre crash, and seems like folks loved them or hated them. Here is my situation.................I am a novice saddle maker, currently working on my fourth saddle. I do repairs and build saddles in my off time when I am not horseback. I have been hand stitching everything on repairs and new saddles, except skirts. There is a feller in town that has been sewing skirts for me on his Artisan 3000, and although he is a nice guy, the jobs he has done for me are not real good. Space is a limitation for me, as my shop is in the small basement of our rancho. I also have 0 experience with any kind of sewing machine, although I am fairly mechanically inclined. I like the idea of a human powered machine. At any rate..........those of you with much greater wisdom and experience.......my question is, would a Tippmann Boss machine be suitable for me sewing skirts, etc. Many Thanks.

At the risk of starting yet another debate on the merits of the Boss, I'll respond. I had one and I liked it. It was my first powered machine, and I sewed quite few skirts on it. I have since replaced it with powered machines, but it will get the job done. I had one fo the cast iron frame ones, and some guys argue those are better than the aluminum. One thing about them, they hold the resale value. Tippman used go through a used one very reasonably, and will warrant it afterwards like new. Only downside is that they have a shallow throat. something like 6 or 8", but then the short arm powered machines are not much more than that.

Hi JW,

I once owned an old "iron" Boss, and it was a good little machine. It is a little quirky but really, once you overcome a few little things, it will do the job. On the plus side, it is inexpensive, doesn't take up much room, does a fairly nice stitch, is portable, can be sent back to Tippmann for repair very reasonably, phone service is great as is the attitude. On the down side, the stitching motion is not efficient (main reason I sold mine when I got the No.9), you can't power it if you desire to (not exactly true, Tippmann did power one with a pneumatic ram but they said it was a little scary, rotary as in Aerostitch was a better design), and it takes a bit of setup when changing threads. Oh, and most importantly, don't short stroke it!

Weaver is supposed to be redesigning the Boss to their liking, calling it the "Stitchmaster". I don't know how this is going as I don't see it advertised anymore, Tandy is supposed to handle it also. I know Tippmann from the '80s when I was involved with them from the aspect of paintball guns. They are a good company and stand by their product.

Art

I have a question about the Tippmann Boss machine. I remember reading some comments about them pre crash, and seems like folks loved them or hated them. Here is my situation.................I am a novice saddle maker, currently working on my fourth saddle. I do repairs and build saddles in my off time when I am not horseback. I have been hand stitching everything on repairs and new saddles, except skirts. There is a feller in town that has been sewing skirts for me on his Artisan 3000, and although he is a nice guy, the jobs he has done for me are not real good. Space is a limitation for me, as my shop is in the small basement of our rancho. I also have 0 experience with any kind of sewing machine, although I am fairly mechanically inclined. I like the idea of a human powered machine. At any rate..........those of you with much greater wisdom and experience.......my question is, would a Tippmann Boss machine be suitable for me sewing skirts, etc. Many Thanks.

I have an old iron Boss, and there are no problems in sewing skirts. I have built a 2´x 2´wooden flatbed connected to my Boss stitching bench", that is of great help when sewing the skirts. Also, I have had an aluminium frame Boss but got rid of it as I consider that a lousy machine, so my advice is, if you´re going to buy a Boss, find an old iron frame Boss, have it shipped to Tippmann´s to get it overhauled.

Thanks for the thoughts folks. I think that for my purposes, a Boss just might work well. If you run across anyone with one of the older cast iron models for sale, holler.

Hi JW,

I once owned an old "iron" Boss, and it was a good little machine. It is a little quirky but really, once you overcome a few little things, it will do the job. On the plus side, it is inexpensive, doesn't take up much room, does a fairly nice stitch, is portable, can be sent back to Tippmann for repair very reasonably, phone service is great as is the attitude. On the down side, the stitching motion is not efficient (main reason I sold mine when I got the No.9), you can't power it if you desire to (not exactly true, Tippmann did power one with a pneumatic ram but they said it was a little scary, rotary as in Aerostitch was a better design), and it takes a bit of setup when changing threads. Oh, and most importantly, don't short stroke it!

Weaver is supposed to be redesigning the Boss to their liking, calling it the "Stitchmaster". I don't know how this is going as I don't see it advertised anymore, Tandy is supposed to handle it also. I know Tippmann from the '80s when I was involved with them from the aspect of paintball guns. They are a good company and stand by their product.

Art

Art I have heard thru the grapevine that Weaver has give up on the stitchmaster and its adler clone as well, only a rumor but the word is they lost over a million $ they had invested in devolping these machines. Please keep in mind this is a rumor. Greg

I have decided to sell my Boss. I have had it about a year. I have sewn a few projects on it and it worked well for me. I think I have every available foot,roller guide,bobbins,bobbin winder,and flat bed attachment. I also made a heavy metal plate to attach it to your bench. My firstborn child,a daughter,who was just 24 years young was murdered on the 6 of Nov.2007. I need to raise money to pay for the adoption of her daughter who is 2 years old. Life has really thrown me a curve ball this time. I would like to get 1,000 for it. I will ship it in the cont. US for that price. I don't lurk here everyday so be patient and I will get back to you if you PM me.

Art I have heard thru the grapevine that Weaver has give up on the stitchmaster and its adler clone as well, only a rumor but the word is they lost over a million $ they had invested in devolping these machines. Please keep in mind this is a rumor. Greg

The manager at my local Tandy store said that their clone of the Boss is not going to happen. He didn't know the reason (for sure) but the corp office said they are not going to manufacture it.

John

Hi Greg,

I have heard that "rumor" also. The Million doesn't make a lot of sense as most of the development is already done with just a little moldmaking and part mods were needed. You would have to sell 1000 of the Adler clones at least to recover the Million. The Stitchbastard was probably doomed from the start even if the patents had run on the Boss. Tippmann showed their fangs a little when they lowered the price to $1295 and rumored it might go lower (it is, since the demise of the Stitchbastard, back up to $1495).

I understand Weaver's desire to use a Chinese clone for their Adler products, the Exchange rate on the Euro has to be killing them now. I am just surprised they didn't just go with one of the existing Adler clones and develop from there. I am still suprised they haven't started dealing the clones.

Art

In my 2008 TandyLeathercraft catalog, they are showing the Stitchbastard for $1595, available Nov. 2007..Of course the lead time for printing catalogs is several months and anyhing can happen..

I have decided to sell my Boss. I have had it about a year. I have sewn a few projects on it and it worked well for me. I think I have every available foot,roller guide,bobbins,bobbin winder,and flat bed attachment. I also made a heavy metal plate to attach it to your bench. My firstborn child,a daughter,who was just 24 years young was murdered on the 6 of Nov.2007. I need to raise money to pay for the adoption of her daughter who is 2 years old. Life has really thrown me a curve ball this time. I would like to get 1,000 for it. I will ship it in the cont. US for that price. I don't lurk here everyday so be patient and I will get back to you if you PM me.

I am interested in your Tippmann. Is it still available? Thanks, Don

I am interested in your Tippmann. Is it still available? Thanks, Don

Evidently the PM messaging works a little differently on this board. I check in quite often but don't check my email that often. Over the weekend I found that I have a few messages from this board that came to my hotmail acct. On other boards each time I check in it will tell me I have a message from ...

My cell no if someone wants to call and talk about the boss is 435-703-0916. I will ship it out within 24 hours of receiving a US postal money order unless the MO arrives on a friday. In that case it will go out monday morning. I don't do paypal after they ripped me for 46.00. My ebay user name is

b-hive 1 and I have approx 150 positive feedback. Thanks for the kind words,prayers,and interest in the Boss.