I need to take satin sheen off and get rid of the streaking from eco flow dye. I know i need a deglazer but is there anything else i could buy from a local store ( hardware or otherwise) to take the satin sheen off? Otherwise i'll have to order it online and wait for it and i'd rather not.

Thanks for the help!

I generally find that methylated spirits will shift most things and it is available from most hardware stores... I'm not sure if it has another name in the US but that is what I would use...

I need to take satin sheen off and get rid of the streaking from eco flow dye. I know i need a deglazer but is there anything else i could buy from a local store ( hardware or otherwise) to take the satin sheen off? Otherwise i'll have to order it online and wait for it and i'd rather not.

Thanks for the help!

I've been able to remove it with just water.

Kate

Listen to Kate - she knows waaay more than me!

R.

... which is why you never want to use an acrylic finish on anything that might be used outdoors. I learned that the hard way! :bawling:

Kate

thanks guys. what if there was atom wax over the satin sheen. would denatured alcohol work? if i used that then do i need to do anything to the leather before i reapply the dye and then seal?

thanks in advance

TinyL

Denatured alcohol is the same thing as deglazer. They have it at ace and w.m.

I've often used acetone to remove the shine from leather in preparing it for dying. I believe that is what Deglazer is.

Deglazer will remove a wax finish. According to the label, it contains ethyl acetate, which is not the same as denatured alcohol. Deglazer is less harmful to your leather than denatured alcohol, and is not as toxic.

Acetone is also a different substance than ethyl acetate, but is used for many of the same things.

One interesting thing I came across on Wikipedia was that ethyl acetate is also used in nail polish remover, and sure enough, that's exactly what deglazer smells like. If you're looking for something you can get locally, maybe nail polish remover will work.

Kate

PS: Be sure to test it first! :spoton:

The methylated spirits (Metho) that UKRAY is referring to is called denatured alcohol in the US.

Barra

Deglazer will remove a wax finish. According to the label, it contains ethyl acetate, which is not the same as denatured alcohol. Deglazer is less harmful to your leather than denatured alcohol, and is not as toxic.

Acetone is also a different substance than ethyl acetate, but is used for many of the same things.

One interesting thing I came across on Wikipedia was that ethyl acetate is also used in nail polish remover, and sure enough, that's exactly what deglazer smells like. If you're looking for something you can get locally, maybe nail polish remover will work.

Kate

PS: Be sure to test it first! :spoton:

I guess it maters what company brand of deglazer you are using. Weavers(Leather Coatings Inc.) and Angelus deglazer "are" denatured alcohol.

Edited by ryano

I guess it maters what company brand of deglazer you are using. Weavers(Leather Coatings Inc.) and Angelus deglazer "are" denatured alcohol.

Thanks for the clarification. The one I use is from Fiebing's.

In that case, if you use denatured alcohol, you may want to also consider treating the leather with a conditioner afterwards. Same thing if you use spirit dyes, which also contain denatured alcohol. That stuff really dries out the leather.

Kate

I just wanted to thank all you guys for your help on this issue. You save the job i did and thought i would have to scrap (which would have made me vomit ) Anyhoo, I'll post pix when i get home it. Once again, thank you sooooo much!

Chris

Edited by TinyL

I've often used acetone to remove the shine from leather in preparing it for dying. I believe that is what Deglazer is.

I had a similar problem and acetone worked for me.