Sign in to follow this  
D.A. Kabatoff

Cutting rawhide string

Hi,

Hoping someone with more rawhide experience than myself can help explain how to cut some rawhide strings. I have some string that is about 3/8" wide that I got from Hereford Byproducts and I want to split it down so it isn't as thick and not so wide. Splitting hasn't been a problem for me as my bench splitter does this no problem. Cutting the string narrower... down to 3/16ths has been more of a challenge. I prepared my rawhide by leaving it in some water for about an hour and then putting it in a ziplock bag in the fridge for a few days. When I took it out, I was able to pull the curl out no problem and I worked some white saddle soap into it until it was the consistency of under cooked spaghetti... a little softer than dry but flexible.

Everytime I try running it through my string cutter (Hanson style but made by another guy) with an injector style razor blade doing the cutting, the string starts to curl upwards between the blade and the guide. I'm pulling with a pair of pliers towards me with a downward motion to keep it tight on the bar and I'm holding the tail down with my other hand. I thought maybe the rawhide was too soft so I let it dry slightly to several different dryness' but had the same results. The rawhide that was too dry either wouldn't cut or would flex the razor outward so that the string didn't have a consistent width.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but any help or advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

Darc

Hey Darc,

I know you have tried the moisture thing, but it sounds like your strings still have to much moisture in them. Or the blades aren't sharp or sit at slight angle that allows the strings to wedge up in there. Someone on here talked about setting their string in a garbage can with water in the bottom and let it sit for a day or so. I've been using that lately and really like the way the strings cut when I do that. I'll soak dry string for a half hour or so than hang it in the can for a day, depends what the temp is on how quickly the moisture will come up in the strings I've sped the process up some by letting a small space heater blow on the can for a while to warm up everything.

Hope this helps

Rob Gerbitz

"Don't try to go through something bad and come out good... stop and start over." Ray Hunt

I would use a little heavier blade to start for that size of string like a scalpel blade from a vet outfit, if you were able to split it consistantly you should be able to cut the width without to many problems except it being a little wet. If the blade is flexing, alot of times the blade isn't heavy enough and being to wet or dry will flex it or break it ( wear glasses too, I have broken alot of blades and some have hit me in the face and it only takes one!) If the moisture feels consistaint and you have sharp polished blades you shouldn't have any problems. It could also be the string streaching some, not knowing were it come from in the hide doen't help. Sounds like the moisture was consistant , I would try alittle heavier brand new blade and see how that works.

Thanks for the replies guys... I've had some more rawhide sitting in the fridge for a few days and am going to give it another shot today using some exacto blades new out of the package. Guess I'll try and polish them first as well and see if that helps, I'll let you know how it goes.

Darc

Darc, if you have a Home Building Center or Home Hardware head over and look in the utility knife section. They should have some small blades that I use all the time to cut rawhide. They look like miniature utility knife blades with a hole in them. They are pretty stiff and sharp. The nice thing is that it's about $2.00 a pack and you can re-sharpen them with a strop. Just what I use, Elton.

just wanted to thank you guys again, I got my string cut to the width I need and am guessing it was the blade that was the issue. I had a pack of exacto blades kicking around which are a bit thicker than the injector blades and a heck of alot sharper! The rawhide I had in the fridge may have ended up a bit dryer as well.

Elton, thanks for the utility blade suggestion... I usually use those blades in my drawgauge but as luck would have it I was on the last bit of blade I had and after cutting up a bunch of latigo last week my blade was dull as a hammer.

thanks again,

Darc

Carpet knife blades work well too. I use them first and then come back and make a final cut with a thinner blade. I've found that pulling your string through hide side down and then hide side up will help when the blade is weak.