I have some natural colored thread that is pre-waxed. If I stitch everything and then dye, will the thread take the dye and match the leather?

For this application I'm using black Angelus dye.

I dipped a little thread in the dye and it didn't seem to dye very well. Not sure if after stitching some wax would wear off and then dye better. If not, I guess I'll need to continue using black thread.

I doubt it, given that wax is a time-honored resist for dyes (i.e. batik, pysanky, roketsuzome).

and linen as a fiber is really hard to dye anyway.

Up to a point yes, but not match - keeping natural or bleached linen thread unstained, even when dying the leather first is a bit problematic - voice of experience

To match the color as close as possible pre-dye your thread with the same dye or often better a shade darker - cut off a length, soak in the dye for a few minutes, wipe off the excess, let dry, then wax........but this works only when using unwaxed thread, which IMO is preferable.....

Edited by ChuckBurrows

As Chuck said, it will dyeto a point.

I find with the EcoFlo that the white thread will take the browns to match close, but the black won't. So black thread is needed there.

I have some natural colored thread that is pre-waxed. If I stitch everything and then dye, will the thread take the dye and match the leather?

For this application I'm using black Angelus dye.

I dipped a little thread in the dye and it didn't seem to dye very well. Not sure if after stitching some wax would wear off and then dye better. If not, I guess I'll need to continue using black thread.

I too have purchased some linen thread (nuetral) that I use to sew my projects together with and do the same thing another person has said. I soak my thread (enough to sew the project) in the same color dye as I dye my project with, then I let dry, then wax my thread just prior to sewing.

Hope that helps.