yaklady

Celtic Horses

Tina,

I think the yaks look good in this pattern too. Kathy told me she didn't expect anyone to actually carve this pattern, that she just drew it to pick on me. I might just have to try it though. I think she was trying to see if she could get even more "squiggly" lines in it that you did in the last pattern you helped me with. It'll definately be a challenge, but it might be fun. I'd love to see what you'd do with it too. So maybe even if it isn't an official challenge, I hope some people will consider trying it out.

This might be great fun, but I also know how anoying all those swirls can be*LOL This will be a project later on towards the summer, I'm of to Sweden i a few weeks and scedual is full until then...Going to see our new flat over there, or as we call it, "the landing strip" and get some gear going to the move. Also going to hug my daughter, massive:-)

yaks_09_027.jpg

There, I got it done! Coloring can be such a pain. I spent most of yesterday doing it. First I went over the whole piece with Briar Brown Hi Liter, as that's what my daughter wants as the main color of the case. Over that I used acrylic paint. The white is a mixture of White and Antique White. One was too bright, the other too yellow. That was watered down and drybrushed on so as not to cover up the shadows created with the Briar Brown. I used a mixture of Phthalo Blue and Pine Green behind the horses. Pine Green makes up the darker green in between the horses, while Medium FoliageGreen is the lighter. Antique White was added to the center to lighten it more, while Phthalo Blue was added to the Pine Green to darken the outer edges. Above the horses, I used Cinnamon. The varying shades were accomplished by adding Antique White in different strengths. The eyes and nostrils are Black, and of course, the high light on the eyes is White. I had to touch up the white a lot when I was through with the other colors.

Now I have to figure out how to paint the fair yak!

Kathy

post-1462-1239805184_thumb.jpg

That is such a fine piece of work, Kathy. I was afraid the colours would detract from the carving but it made everything work even better. Congratulations!

Ray

Yihaaa...Love your choice of colors, if your daughter aint happy I can always send you my address :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Wow- Kathy! I wouldn't have ever thought of using white on that - it came out beautiful!

The yaks are easy - they seem to all be coming out black..... :)

Crystal

WOW Kathy, I can't even think of anything mean to say as a joke. I'd have never thought of painting the horses white either, but they look great. There's something about the faces that really draws you in. I think it's the eyes. I really like the background colors too. The pattern seemed a little busy to me before you colored it, but the color really makes everything come together.

Coloring can be such a pain. I spent most of yesterday doing it. First I went over the whole piece with Briar Brown Hi Liter, as that's what my daughter wants as the main color of the case. Over that I used acrylic paint. The white is a mixture of White and Antique White. One was too bright, the other too yellow. That was watered down and drybrushed on so as not to cover up the shadows created with the Briar Brown.

That is gorgeous, Kathy! I have always struggled with applying white paint to leather with bristle brushes. I find it much easier with an air brush, but I'd still like to be able to use a bristle brush. After seeing this, I think I'll go back and do some more experimenting.

Kate

Thank you, wonderful people! I didn't have to do much thinking on the colors, I just did them (almost) the same as in the original picture I have. Clay, I'm sorry you can't come up with any snide remarks. I was looking forward to that. That's the only reason I post stuff on here. :cowboy:

Kate, I wish I could do the airbrush thing! I have never learned to use one. On this horse, an airbrush wouldn't have gotten the same effect, anyway. With the Hi Liter on first, the shadowing is already there. You must avoid painting over the shadows. I water down the paint and go easy with the amount I put on. It required two coats, but it really wasn't hard. The only problem is the horse is not textured at all. Textured leather is much easier to paint. It worked out okay, though.

I have a feeling Sheena won't reject this one, but I'll let you know if I need your address, Tina!

Kathy :o)

When it snows all day, there's nothing better than doing leather work all day. I finished painting the other side. Now I have to figure out how to put this case together!

yaks_09_042.jpg

post-1462-1239912231_thumb.jpg

An equally well done side, Kathy! I'm glad I didn't hold you up in the chat room all day!

Still cannot wait to see this all together!

Crystal

Absolutely Stunning. This forum does a great job of making realize how much I have to learn - and this is an example of exactly that. Time to go practice.

How large is that carving? I really have trouble beveling fine work on celtic patterns. Did you use a modeling tool, beveling stamps, a combination? I would love to see this and the horse piece done as a tutorial for those of us who are trying to practice a similar style!

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the kind words, Excell.

The carving is 6" by 8 1/4". A combination of beveller and modeling spoon is used here. First I bevel it, then I do the back ground, then I go over each and every line with the spoon to smooth it out. I could do a little tutorial for you, but I won't be able to get to it till June. We are off to Sheridan next week and to Wisconsin from there. I won't be home for a while! I'll see what I can do upon my return.

Kathy

I could do a little tutorial for you [. . .] I won't be home for a while! I'll see what I can do upon my return.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

That would be very appreciated when, and if, you have time. Thanks!

That's pretty awesome! Could you please post some pics up of the case as a whole when you're done? Did I say pretty please? HAHA!

Love the coloring with the horses. Nice and subtle shades with an antique look to it.

Cheers,

Andy

Thank you, Andy! It was tricky getting the coloring to come out that way. Lots of light coats. I will be working on the case in June. This month has been impossible, and I'm headed to Sheridan soon. Keep up the "pretty pleases" and you'll see some pictures of the whole thing!

Cheers to you!

Kathy

Thank you, Andy! It was tricky getting the coloring to come out that way. Lots of light coats. I will be working on the case in June. This month has been impossible, and I'm headed to Sheridan soon. Keep up the "pretty pleases" and you'll see some pictures of the whole thing!

Cheers to you!

Kathy

Pretty please?