Sign in to follow this  
yaklady

Horse Pasture Rent

My mother owns acreage on which she has boarded horses for around 35 years. Back then, she started out at $25 a month. She has finally raised the price to a whoppin' $45 a month! I have been pushing her to riase prices for many years, and she feels sorry for the tennants and won't raise the price. She has to spray for loco weed in the summer, or it takes over. That costs hundreds of dollars. The pasture needs to be fertilized and reseeded. That's a huge expense. I've been trying to find examples of other pasture prices, but mostly what I find is boarding facilities, and that's not the same. There's nothing fancy about her place, just good fences, grass and water. Down the road is a public arena which boarders can use.

I want to know what other people are charging for pasture. Of course it will vary in other parts of the country, but any input will help my case. I know of one pasture near here that costs $250 a month, for grass and water.

Do you know what they charge in your area?

Frustrated,

Kathy

I personally would charge 35 a month and the renter would pay me for the fertilizer and seed and any fence maintanance that was needed. and if they baulk at all of that then it would go to 75 a month per horse. You do the math and figure wich one is cheaper in the long run. if they are there all spring and summer then the first would be cheaper but if they are only there a month or two then the latter would work out better for them.

P.S. that is if they supply the hoses and water troughs

Just my opinion and I am not a horse boarder nor do I personally rent any pasture

My mother owns acreage on which she has boarded horses for around 35 years. Back then, she started out at $25 a month. She has finally raised the price to a whoppin' $45 a month! I have been pushing her to riase prices for many years, and she feels sorry for the tennants and won't raise the price. She has to spray for loco weed in the summer, or it takes over. That costs hundreds of dollars. The pasture needs to be fertilized and reseeded. That's a huge expense. I've been trying to find examples of other pasture prices, but mostly what I find is boarding facilities, and that's not the same. There's nothing fancy about her place, just good fences, grass and water. Down the road is a public arena which boarders can use.

I want to know what other people are charging for pasture. Of course it will vary in other parts of the country, but any input will help my case. I know of one pasture near here that costs $250 a month, for grass and water.

Do you know what they charge in your area?

Frustrated,

Kathy

kathy

here in ga we charge 125 for pasture n hay, if u want it boarded in a stall its runs as high as 550 a mnt n u supply the feed n labor to keep the stall clean n there cleaned daily.

check on the property tax n charge enough to cover at least the tax, let the land pay for its self, another thing is make sure there is a non sue clause in the contract incase the animal is hurt for some unseen reason, like a down fence or a down tree that the animal can get tangled in. most states have a legistive admentment protecting the property owner from a rider or handler sueing from a horse ridin injury, but does not cover the injury to the animal

we run a breeding farm of over 85 head of horses, and have run into a few sue happy people out looking for a quick buck, cross ur tees, and dot your I,s to cover ur butt

Thank you for your responses. I have brought up what you two said to my mother, and she actually agreed to raise the price. My next step is to get a decent contract written out. I never thought about people sueing when their horse gets hurt, and horses get hurt all the time. Any specific suggestions you have for me there would also be appreciated.

Kathy

Well, I may be the exception but in NW Georgia I'm paying 25 a month per horse ( I'm the renter) with good fences and grass and year round creek frontage. The husband fell from a latter and passed away last August so I'm now taking care of the place but I have access to all the farm implements, including an almost new John Deere and a Kawasaki Mule.

To be fair though, we've been there for a few years and these people are almost like family to us but we can find pasture here for 50 per horse ( or less) pretty easily. It can get much more expensive though depending on facilities and services provided.

Well, I may be the exception but in NW Georgia I'm paying 25 a month per horse ( I'm the renter) with good fences and grass and year round creek frontage. The husband fell from a latter and passed away last August so I'm now taking care of the place but I have access to all the farm implements, including an almost new John Deere and a Kawasaki Mule.

To be fair though, we've been there for a few years and these people are almost like family to us but we can find pasture here for 50 per horse ( or less) pretty easily. It can get much more expensive though depending on facilities and services provided.