mliebs8

Question on interior holster finish

I just finished an IWB holster and used resolene to finish the interior and it turned out pretty nice. The problem I have is that the gun mould seems to pop when you pull the gun out. Is there anything I can do to make it less tacky so to speak. It feels super smooth but it almost seems like the finish is sticking to the gun when you try to pull it out.

Some of mine actually make a click or pop when inserting or drawing, it seems to be coming from the area of the ejection port moulding it has become less as it is used. If it was the finish I would think you would see residue or markings on the gun or in the holster.

I think Jordan has hit it on the head. Sounds like you have a nice tight fitting holster. That's what all holster makers shoot for and most of the time they get that type of fit. As long as you are not getting any residue from the holster I'd say you did a good job of molding and fitting, be happy. The holster will loosen up some with use and it will be easier to draw at that point. When I break in a new holster I just sit in front of the TV and watch my favorite movies; then I just slide the gun in and out of the holster for a couple of hours to break it in.

John

Edited by gunfighter48

Wrap a layer of waxed paper around the dummy and holster it half a dozen times, and that may reduce some of the tackiness. You can also use baby powder and then wipe it off, but be sure the finish is totally dry before you try that or it could get messy.

I was told that the secret to Resolene is many thin layers otherwise it will dry tacky.

SkipJ

I was told that the secret to Resolene is many thin layers otherwise it will dry tacky.

SkipJ

Also cut the Resolene 50/50 for better results. It also makes for a less shiny finish.

Edited by Srigs

Also cut the Resolene 50/50 for better results. It also makes for a less shiny finish.

How many "Dips" would you recommend. Approximately how long between each?

Thanks, Ray

How many "Dips" would you recommend. Approximately how long between each?

Thanks, Ray

I generally do one dip with it under for 5 to 10 seconds and let drip dry and touch up the drips with a paper towel. Sometimes I do dip again depending on the finish after a couple of days.

Hope that helps.