I have a customer who wants a rifle sling. Customer is complaining about their current sling "squeaking" while hunting, (I assume when the rifle is carried with the sling over the shoulder), and if the new one does, they would probably never use it...hence, not buy it. (I personally love the sound of leather creaking, but, I guess it's too loud for Mr. Fudd in the woods)

I think they need to oil the swivels on the gun, but that's just my suspicion.

I'm thinking of ways to make a sling that won't "squeak" being:

1. Oil. Neetsfoot or Lexol, or something, but then they would have to keep reapplying as needed...out of my control

2. Coat it really good in beeswax. Not sure about that one, and again, it might eventually rub off.

3. incorporate some suede in the loops that attach to the swivels.

Anybody have any experience with this?

baby powder where the leather meet leather. It has natural oils in it too.

pete

Mink oil maybe? I know that mink makes the leather nice and soft but I don't know if your customer wants a soft sling or a stiff sling.

Damon

I can totally believe his sling creaks too much. Some leather armor that I've made, particularly stuff with a lot of parts and floating joints (like lorica segmentata) creaks terribly. I'm guessing the creaking that guy's hearing is from the strap of the sling rubbing on and through the shoulder pad and/or buckle parts, rather than the parts attached to the sling swivels - they're securely sewn or riveted. It can be mitigated somewhat with regular applications of neatsfoot oil, but I've never made it go away entirely.

I would think the easiest way to make a "creakless" sling would be to make it all one piece. Find out how long he wants it and make it non-adjustable to that length. You could also make the strap out of latigo, and use vege tan for just the shoulder pad part and tool that. I don't think that would creak at all.

But if you make him a sling out of vegetable tanned leather that has parts that can rub together, yeah, it's gonna creak.

Edited by hivemind

I think I'm going to soak it in mink oil and see what happens. I like the idea of making it non-adjustable, but I'm not sure that would "work" for him. I know I'm always adjusting mine to suit me better all the time....but then, when I'm in the woods, I'm not carrying it on my shoulder, I've got it down and ready, so I don't care about "creak".

I figure the mink oil will give it a dark color (a consideration for a hunter), and help with water resistance to boot. If it still creaks, I'll try to fix it from that point....somehow.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

I have heard of people using baby powder to take the squeak out of new saddles.

I have no personal experiance with this though,,,

I may use a little of oil, just to protect it from the elements. But not soak it in oil to get the creak out. Baby powder or "any dry" lubricate is the thing to use. Baby powder has a scent with. You don't want that for a hunting rifle. Telcum powder would work.

Would cornstarch be an alternative? It might help with the scent issue of baby powder.

What about Dubbin rather than mink oil? Baby powder is talcum powder with a scent added. It comes from soapstone. The problem with cornstarch being a food item, ot may attract wee creatures looking for a snack. With Dubbin I've literally buttered the leather with my bare hands. I leave it for 3 days, then wipe off any excess. In another few days I buff with a soft cloth. Rain will bead off this. I suspect the noise is where the rifle rubs the leather as the fellow is walking.

What about Dubbin rather than mink oil? Baby powder is talcum powder with a scent added. It comes from soapstone. The problem with cornstarch being a food item, ot may attract wee creatures looking for a snack. With Dubbin I've literally buttered the leather with my bare hands. I leave it for 3 days, then wipe off any excess. In another few days I buff with a soft cloth. Rain will bead off this. I suspect the noise is where the rifle rubs the leather as the fellow is walking.

I've never heard of "Dubbin"....is that a brand name?

I've never heard of "Dubbin"....is that a brand name?

Dubbin - AKA leather tallow or dressing.

I would also like to comment about over oiling. Please exercise caution when oiling. Otherwise you will have a piece of leather that is like a wet noodle.

I would dress it. and take it from there.

I think i may have one or 2 solutions.....I hunt alot and stalk animals....and I started leather working....

First the one piece leather idea is on track....and yes this can be made as an adjustable piece even if it is one piece....the only downfall to position it you need a screw driver to undo the chigao screw....but there is no hunter i met that tops and adujusts equipment in midst of a hunt thats crazy making......

second....using veg tan i have bnn succesful with quiet 2 piece straps as well.....the one where you tool and goes to the front swivel on rifle.....then a strap that you run through the oblong punched holes twice then pass the strap through itself...this one is very adjustable......like a guitar strap.....i need to utilize this one in practicality though now.

I had the same problem with a sling I purchased, I ended up lining the contact points with nylon parachute material cured the problem