Here is a pr. of taps i am making.They are 28" flower carved.Need to be oiled and the silver mounted.What do you think ?

garytaps2.jpg

garystaps1.jpg

Hi Steve,

every time you post something your carving looks better than the last time (and the first ones looked great!). I really like the carving and layout... great job.

Darc

Steve,

They look really good from this distance. Give us an update and some close-ups when you get finished. Look forward to seeing it completed.

Regards,

Ben

Beautiful job.

Art

Man I need to learn to carve better. Those are beautiful, I have no use for taps up here where I live but I would be dang proud to own those. Great Work.

Really nice Steve! I want to see them with the finish on them also. Great job!

Bob

Very nice, Steve. The saddle parked in the background looks pretty good, too!

Joanne

I just saw that thread! The saddle and taps look beautifully balanced, both on their own and together, and the carving is excellent. Thanks for posting the pics.

Joanne

Beautiful! When a teen I saw a fellow with a much shorter pair that were lined with sheepwool for our cold winters. I've only seen the longs taps with pointed ends. Is this your own variation or are these popular in certain parts of the country?

The more I am around western cowboy gear the more I find out that most of it had a purpose and was not just for show. That being said, is their a reason that taps (not yours particularly but just the long style) were made so long or was it just for the looks?

Edited by yotebuster1200

The purpose of a long tap was you could slap a horse in the nose to stop him from bucking.Also you could pop them to hurry cattle along.

The purpose of a long tap was you could slap a horse in the nose to stop him from bucking.Also you could pop them to hurry cattle along.

Steve, those were definitely the days of hard bodies and flat stomachs! I guess I don't need taps because there's no way I'm gonna get my feet up and out front of me before becoming a yard dart! :bike:

Bob