Lee hasn't quite figured out the picture postings so I offered to post some for him.

...A Very good friend of mine survived a horrendous motorcycle wreck. Among many others he had several abdominal surgeries which left his Abs weak and dislocated to the sides. The doctors want to wait a year for swelling to subside and everything to heal. When he tries to stand or lift anything his internal organs press on the skin of his stomach making him look 9 and a half months pregnant. He has difficulty breathing and speaking because his diaphragm has nothing to work against. He was given an elastic band with Velcro but it does little to help. He asked me to make him a leather belt which I was more than happy to do. The belt is 10 inches wide and is made of Wickett and Craig 10 ounce leather. It took three attempts to get the buckle ends in the right place ( Lots of hand sewing and redoing) I have since changed the buckles to brass roller type which are easier for him to work. I have cut semi-circles out of thee bottom side so that it fits better over his hip bones. If I had it to do over I would make the body of the belt from chap leather and use the skirting for the ends and a stiffener on the back side. He says that he is much more comfortable while wearing it. Lee

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

post-3307-1240146306_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1240146336_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1240146383_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rawhide

very nice looking! hopefully it helps with the recovery. hard to see friends go through struggles, but harder to see them leave. best of wishes to you and your friend.

That's cool to help your friend out. Sounds like a lot of work to get the buckle spacing correct. One thing I use when making something are small machine screws and nuts to get the dimensions I need. It's a lot less work to take apart. At any rate, good job!

P.S. How is that W&C leather compared to Hermann Oak?

Edited by bustedlifter

That's cool to help your friend out. Sounds like a lot of work to get the buckle spacing correct. One thing I use when making something are small machine screws and nuts to get the dimensions I need. It's a lot less work to take apart. At any rate, good job!

P.S. How is that W&C leather compared to Hermann Oak?

I find the W&C to have a bit softer "Hand" and is easier to work with than the HO. Both are excellent products but the W&C feels better and tools slightly better. Then there is the 10 side minimum order with HO. Lee