Sign in to follow this  
Kustomizer

Need to make sure a seat I made is waterproof!

OK, I sold my first seat and shipped it out and was reading about waterproofing and final finishes on another thread here and now I'm not sure I got the correct info on protecting the seat and I don't want the customer to wash his bike or get caught in the rain and color starts to run off of the seat or soak into his pants or something. I used Eco-flo Gel Antiques for the color and then applied 4 coats of Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator to the seat as a final topcoat. Will this provide enough protection? If not I need to get something to send to him to apply to the seat to protect it and what should that be. I hate being a newbie, Help!

OK, I sold my first seat and shipped it out and was reading about waterproofing and final finishes on another thread here and now I'm not sure I got the correct info on protecting the seat and I don't want the customer to wash his bike or get caught in the rain and color starts to run off of the seat or soak into his pants or something. I used Eco-flo Gel Antiques for the color and then applied 4 coats of Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator to the seat as a final topcoat. Will this provide enough protection? If not I need to get something to send to him to apply to the seat to protect it and what should that be. I hate being a newbie, Help!

You might want to try Top Coat #200 from Weaver (actually an LCI product). You don't want to brush it on, but you might want to try spraying it on or even dipping the leather in in this solvent-based solution. Use in a very well ventilated area.

This is only a suggestion, as I've tried this once, but it didn't fit the application needed. For bike seats, it might be a good idea.

ed

Im sure the pro's will jump in here soon but IMHO a simple method would be to use something like sno seal on it. That or aussie wax is good also and both of these are easily applied by any one with a cotton cloth and a working hand. Granted they work better if you can take a hair dryer to the leather first (not too hot just warm) then apply them.

Im sure the pro's will jump in here soon but IMHO a simple method would be to use something like sno seal on it. That or aussie wax is good also and both of these are easily applied by any one with a cotton cloth and a working hand. Granted they work better if you can take a hair dryer to the leather first (not too hot just warm) then apply them.

If you want to be able to send your customer a simple solution, or just point him to a product, I second MadMax on sno-seal, which does work well, as does Fiebing's Snow Proof. Aussie Wax is also a good choice.

ed