Sign in to follow this  
wombatgunner

Buckle or Lace

After making this bracer I realized that buckles would have worked better than the lace.

I know the pics aren't great. My camera is broken, so I am taking pics with my cell phone lol.

Spiked_Bracer_1.jpgSpiked_Bracer_2.jpg

Spiked_Bracer_3.jpgSpiked_Bracer_4.jpg

Spiked_Bracer_5.jpgSpiked_Bracer_6.jpg

post-10408-1241565957_thumb.jpg

post-10408-1241565965_thumb.jpg

post-10408-1241565972_thumb.jpg

post-10408-1241565979_thumb.jpg

post-10408-1241565986_thumb.jpg

post-10408-1241565994_thumb.jpg

Edited by wombatgunner

wow - "deadly looking"

I can think of a few people with a bad habit of wiping there nose on there sleeve that I would like to give this for them to wear.

Break that habit in a heartbeat.

looks good

Looks great.

Even though most Vambraces are made with laces, I much prefer snaps or buckles. I hate asking for help tieing my clothes, unless of course I'm asking the ladies. Just mho.

bradg

I've made a few pairs of custom 'bracers. Yours came out pretty nice. I happen to agree with you that you could have gone with buckles- I would have considered a buckle/snap set up (like in the standard pattern called "Cowboy Cuffs" that Tandy sells). I tend to look at "old standards" like this one and modify for whatever look or style I want. I've done RenFaire to Festish to 'Eavy Metal variants. After all, spikes aren't exactly " early Medeival period garb" , so I tend to go with practical hardware that kicks ass. As you know, spikes and studs add weight to the piece too, which can cause thinner lace to stress and stretch with little wear.

A suggestion I might make for next time is to *put a bit more space between your holes (on standard forearm bracers for a large man eight (4 on each side) can do the job. , and get some thicker lace*- round if you can get it. The time I would use more holes would be if I planned on doing some fancy "Spanish style" lacing pattern. I know it might sound goofy, but if you have a spare pair of round, thick, hiking boot laces (nylon) in black, throw them in this model just to look at them and see how they tie. Some blood red or burgundy laces might look pretty cool too, if you wanna go for extra flashy. Round laces tend not to have the "twisting" issue that can make square laces a pain in the neck. If you don't like the idea of nylon- try *bolo tie cord*. It can be found in braided leather, and usually can be found with end caps, which can look really sharp and will prevent fraying on the ends.

Wes Hal!

swivelsphinx

Could be a dangerous thing to wear in a lightning storm! :eusa_naughty:

Buckles look better with spiked bracers IMO and for non spiked I prefer lacing up.

I can easily tie my laced bracers on my own arm without help using the rawbands knot wich doesn't open once you tightened it.

I'm allergic to nickel so buckles doesn't work for me.

Cool bracer!!

Tom