qarawol

Breast Cancer Awareness

I'll make this important subject my first post other then my intro.

My wife recently got diagnosed with breast cancer early in March of this year. I always seen the pink ribbon magnet on cars/trucks and never gave it second thought. Well now it has become a part of my life. She is diagnosed with stage 0-1 at this point and is going to be undergoing a second surgery.

Pink is the color of Breast Cancer Awareness and I have made several of these CUSTOM Leather bracelets for her co-workers as well as her boss for she herself has breast cancer and is still being treated.

PinkBracelets.jpg

The black top one is the one I wear everyday. I am making more of various styles and will be selling them soon to support the cause. I don't know the amount of the donation yet. The bottom mystery braided one were the ones as gifts and they sport some bling bling. The second from the bottom with the added pink stitch line is the wife's and I have a matching one too. Everyone else got the one pink strand with black stitch line (bottom).

I just want to throw out a question... Is it wrong of me to ask for at least $5.00 back (bracelet with concho) to cover the cost of material? I have no problem donating my time to make these and I want nothing for my labor. These each take me about 1.5 - 2 hours to make depending on the detail. $5.00 is to cover the cost of the leather, conchos, paint and snaps. So $5.00 x lets say 100 pieces = $500.00 which I can't afford to cover. I know it's a large quantity number though I know one day I will easily pass that and it all adds up. I can do several as freebies though once it takes off... who knows?

There is going to be a cancer walk at the end of next month and I have to conjure up maybe 20 special leather pieces for the wife and co-workers that will be participating on that event. I have a regular 40hr week job and a very long "honey do list" so leather work is for leisure time only.

Anyone else in the same boat as me and any suggestions for a quickie pink leather project to pass out to others?

Njoy...

Edited by qarawol

If you're making them to support a cause, people will likely pay more for them (i.e. if part of what they pay you is going to a charity). Either way, I'd ask at least 10.00. I say that, because I do plain mystery braids for 5.00 and yours are worth way more than that.

They are really awesome.

My prayers are with you.

If I knew that the profits from these would be going to the Breast Cancer Fund I would have no problems with paying $10.00 for one of them.

top two maybe $15.00

Which gets your materials cost back and gives you something to donate to the "cause"

They are unique and I think that they would sell for those prices

Excellent idea, and my 2 cents worth. Offer them for $10 and donate $5 for each one, and explain the other $5 goes for materials so you can afford to keep making them and raising money. If somebody can't swing the $10, give them one and bless them for raising awareness.

I don't do bracelets, but have done other things. I am attaching a picture of one that is very popular at silent auctions and benefits. It is a plastic case similar to the goat string cans I order. Inside is a mirror and a couple of shelves and I'll get some pics of that. Some carry them as a hardside purse and others as a cosmetic case. You can get them in other colors, but I always keep pink on hand. I order them from Latta Mfg at (800) 232-3967. I order from them because they exhibit at the leather shows and so I try to support them rather than order from someone else. The color has washed out in the picture, but it is bright pink with the pink crystals. This particular design has always brought $150 or more. I have asked Smith Brothers about doing pink rope cans too. Not so far, but I see a demand there.

Tough Enough to Wear Pink,

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

post-29-1242605408_thumb.jpg

post-29-1242605429_thumb.jpg

post-29-1242605448_thumb.jpg

Rick, here's something I did last year: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...ic=5729&hl=, The ribbons are the easiest, fastest way i've found to raise money. I just use scraps and the same bottle of pink acrylic paint I've had for 3 years now. I charge $5 for them, and can't make them fast enough. Be your wife's anchor, hold her close, and listen. My wife is a 9 yr. survivor, and I'm thankful every day.

Edited by Timd1159

Depends on the type of cancer and a lot of other things, but at stage 0-1, her odds are better. It means it was caught early, which is a HUGE factor in her favor. Treatments are advancing at light speed. It's getting easier, and there are more and more survivors, these days. Please let us know how she's doing. And thanks for what you are doing to raise awareness.

Kate

Thanks for the kind words and prayers!

I have bought a bulk pack of leather support ribbons from the Tandy Leather Factory. I think I make those up nice and purty with a lanyard. That seems simple enough to have it all done soon. I still may opt to make more bracelets too.

Have you heard of the Magic Billfold? I bought some from TLF and came up with an idea. These are fun to use wallets and a great leather conversation starter.

I'll post pics here when I finish one. It's so special! (I think)

Njoy...

Here's is the latest pink ribbon project I have been working on... the Magic Billfold.

Cut pieces...

100_0448.jpg

Internal view of lace work...

100_0453.jpg

Adding a folded bill...

100_0457.jpg

Close and open wallet from the other side, and viola! a secure bill.

100_0458.jpg

My VERY FIRST carve job...

100_0450.jpg

I added card holder slots on the opposite side of the ribbon...

100_0454.jpg

100_0455.jpg

Different slots to help separate cards if needed...

100_0456.jpg

With negative image ribbon key fob...

100_0459.jpg

I was very nervous on the ribbon carving. I know it is a very simple design yet it was truly my first carve job. I made many key fobs with just stamping letters and flowers but never a carve/stamp from scratch. I still need to add something on the bottom of the card side. Maybe my wife's name or initials.

Njoy...

When my mom recieved the word about concer some one send her a rock with HOPE pained on the top of it. With a note that well a need a little hope. One day she ask dad to make some hopes out out of leather. So he stared to make leather hopes some with a cross on top and some with a praying hands and the word hope on them as the leather is nice to hold in your and work. his are about 1 in by 6 with a hole to put on key chain. At last cound he as made over 500 and give to fokes and thay have been sent all over the world. he now make some with ASAP on them for alway say a pray on them.

thanks for leting me brang on my Dad

Russ

Those are really great looking items you've made! I would consider selling them for $10. each figuring that maybe you can donate half to their cancer group and the balance would pay for your materials.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife,

Lil Rays

Edited by lilrays

It's been over a year now since her diagnoses and the wife had her first mammogram a week ago and all is fine. No sign of anything. She did not need the drip chemo which is a plus in my book. She only takes a small chemo pill a day. The radiation though took a major toll on her... it was bad the last several treatments and we are both glad it's over with.

All the above is very good news but there is some bad news... He mother was diagnosed with stage 2 cancer several months ago. She already has gone through the lumpectomy and just finished her drip chemo treatment. She is now currently doing the daily radiation treatment.

During her 4 chemo treatments, I went with her and met many patients and nurses. I decided to make various colored mystery bracelets for both patients and nurses. It was nice to see a smile on their faces as I placed it on their wrists. Though mother-in-law is no longer getting chemo, I still frequent the clinic to visit the patients and nurses. The nurses let me in though I have no family there. I try to have many colors on hand during my visits.

here are just a few that I have to give/sell...

MysteryBracelets.jpg

I give them freely and ask for nothing. I even gave my personal python snake skin one away just because a patient liked it.

The nurses/staff has mentioned that I should sell them there. They will put them on display at the check in counter for family members that may want one or more. I got to meet the office manager and her daughter in law and made them both several free leather gifts to do a bit of brown nose'n... It worked!

Njoy...