Sign in to follow this  
Double U Leather

Calf Roping Camp Stool

Here's the first three legged stool. Thanks to UK Ray for the tri-bolts. I shold have drilled the holes further down the legs, but oh well. It's really a stool I didn't want to build. It's for my son who is a high school calf roper. He was winning a ton this season, and ready to go to the High School National Finals. Unfortunately, he tore his ACL in the practice pen, and yesterday he had surgery. The doctors say it will probably be mid November or early December before he can rope calves again. :bawling: Oh well.....occupational hazard. He's only a sophomore, so he'll still make it. But it does suck for him. Anyway, let me know what you think of the stool.

CR_camp_stool.jpg

post-7660-1242827896_thumb.jpg

Nice job! I'm glad the tri-bolts are coming in handy. I like your carving very much. I'm going to have to stitch my next batch of stools - they'll look great with corners like this one.

Ray

great job on the stool nice job tooling and nice stiching. bet thay would sell good at the roping for you.

sorry to hear about the ACL

Russ

Tough deal about the injury. Hopefully the surgery went well and the rehab and PT go well. On the bright side, he'll have a really cool stool to rest that leg on while he heals. I like it.

Thanks for the kind words. I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. As for the surgery, the doc was happy. Tomorrow we start the PT and rehab. He's a tough kid, mentally and physically. He'll be back.

Although this isn't about the stool.........well it kinda is........the first day of rehab was good. They thought he was doing remarkably well two days after surgery. And, the stool will be the ideal height. I thought it was a bit low, and truth be known, the next one will be higher, but for what my son needs it's perfect!!!

Nice stool Leatherrookie!!!

Tom

Thanks Tom, I appreciate it.

The stool looks great. Sorry to hear about your son. My nephew calf ropes also. We just got back from the Barry Burke in Ardmore. He had tough luck but we got to see some great roping.

very nice work I like

You done good,

I can feel for your son I tore mine awile ago, breaking broncs

Josh

Edited by jbird

Thanks Jbird, Richard........I appreciate the compliments.

Jbird, how long did you crash your knee? How was your recovery?

Richard...who won the roping?

Great job on the stool LR. Sorry about your son's injury. On the positive side, when he has his leg propped up on that great stool, he can cross his other leg and practice tying his foot........no free lunches! :rofl:

Hopin' he's back in the saddle, soon!

Bob

Great job on the stool LR. Sorry about your son's injury. On the positive side, when he has his leg propped up on that great stool, he can cross his other leg and practice tying his foot........no free lunches! :rofl:

Hopin' he's back in the saddle, soon!

Bob

LR,

Which knee is it? Bob is onto something there.

Bob,

Now there's a blast from the past!! I hadn't thought about stringing and wrapping my foot for quite a while. In the era before decent tying dummies it used to be pretty fair practice sitting in the living room. Head down, elbow up, hands close - all those good habits. :cowboy:

You know guys....you might be right!! Well maybe. It's been so long since he's tied his foot, I don't remember which foot to tie. He, of course, is of the era of tying dummies. If I remember right, when he used to tie his foot for goat tying practice, he tied lefty. If that's the case, he's SOL. The more I think about it, tying lefty is right. Would be hard to string righty and then try to tie. Guess he's gonna hafta do the Gary Leffew deal and visualize alot of great runs.

Most times I understand at least part of what is said in a post but I totally concede defeat with this one. The great UK-US language barrier came down with a clang and left me looking blank.

:wtf: Lefty, Righty, SOL, tying dummies, tied his foot, goat tying, WTF is all this about, guys? It sounds like it ought to be in the adult section! LOL

Blane Cox won the 13 to 15 year old tie-down. He only had to be a 16 on his last calf. I don't know who won the 16 to 19 but Tuff Cooper was roping.

LOL Ray.....that's funny. Lemme see if I can explain. Lefty/righty = left leg/right leg. SOL= sh*t outta luck, tying dummies= practice equipment for calf ropers, tying your foot= practice equipment for calf ropers prior to the invention of tying dummies. Hope this helps. Us rodeo type folks have our own language apart from typical English.

...and the bit about goats? How might they fit in? LOL

LOL Ray.....that's funny. Lemme see if I can explain. Lefty/righty = left leg/right leg. SOL= sh*t outta luck, tying dummies= practice equipment for calf ropers, tying your foot= practice equipment for calf ropers prior to the invention of tying dummies. Hope this helps. Us rodeo type folks have our own language apart from typical English.

:NEWFUNNYPOST:

Ray,

Another rodeo event is goat tying. Usually the junior rodeos have it for younger boys and girls, and the high school/college rodeos have it for women. Basically you ride to a goat staked out, dismount, flank the goat (lay it on its side by hand) and then tie three legs. It is a timed event. Kind of a little kid practice for moving up to roping calves, and a hotly competitive event for the girls and ladies in the older age groups.

The leather related part of all of this is that calf ropers carry their ropes in rope cans, and the goat tyers carry their tie strings in goat string cans. Many of these opt to have a tooled leather piece put on the cans to ID and customize them, and that's where we come in...... :thumbsup:

The reference to Gary Leffew is this. Gary was a bull rider who lives down on the central coast area of California. He was one of the first big proponents of applying psychocybernetic techniques to rodeo.

I learn something new and exciting every day I come here! LOL

Although I have watched a few videos of bull riding and suchlike I never imagined tying up goats could be a popular spectator/participant sport... Amazing!

I'm off to YouTube to find some video of goat tying... if you have any recommended viewing I'd be pleased to hear about it. Are there rules?

Love this place...

Ray

edit - almost 40 mins later

Okay, so I watched the goat roping. Hmmmm. Not sure what I made of that...

I also watched some guy riding a mad horse bareback and some equally crazy dude getting kicked up in the air and gored by a bull. You guys do all this for fun? - Nah, somebody has to be getting paid a whole lotta money for doing this stuff.... No wonder you can all afford to buy Barry King's tools!

Edited by UKRay

Bruce,

Bad news pard.......seems the goat tyers now all wanna carry their strings in PVC tubing. So much for the tooled goat can market.

Ray,

The money to play the rodeo game isn't real good. 90% at least of the guys that play the game do it for the love of the game. Very few make a substantial living at it.

Ray,

Here's a link I found to an example. Pretty sure it would be his mom shooting the video and offering advice like mothers do. -

Ray,

Here's a link I found to an example. Pretty sure it would be his mom shooting the video and offering advice like mothers do. -

Thanks Bruce - I'm pleased to say I've now seen so many goat roping and barrel racing films that I feel something of an afficionado!

Having watched a whole evening of YouTube videos I have nothing but respect for all those completely crazy, but incredibly brave folk who ride in rodeos. I was only joking about the big bucks, I'm sorry if that wasn't picked up. Nobody would do that stuff just for the money... I just wish I had a chance to see it for real.

Thanks Bruce - I'm pleased to say I've now seen so many goat roping and barrel racing films that I feel something of an afficionado!

Having watched a whole evening of YouTube videos I have nothing but respect for all those completely crazy, but incredibly brave folk who ride in rodeos. I was only joking about the big bucks, I'm sorry if that wasn't picked up. Nobody would do that stuff just for the money... I just wish I had a chance to see it for real.

Well if you hurry up and get yourself moved to Tenn I'm sure "somebody" on this forum could hook you up with a rodeo somewhere.