Sign in to follow this  
celticleather

Make your own 'craftaids'

Here's a method that I've developed for designs that need to be repeated.

I use .008" (200 micron) Melinex clear acetate film - it's waterproof, dimensionally stable, and will not distort.

1. Trace the design onto the film with a fine waterproof (spirit-based) pen.

2. Prick through the film with a fine-pointed needle, following the traced lines, with prick-marks about 1mm apart. Don't prick through too deeply . . . just enough to penetrate the film.

3. The prick-marks will raise little 'pimples' on the underside of the film.

4. Position the film, right-side up, onto the cased leather, and rub over gently with the back of a spoon or a smooth burnisher.

5. The pimples on the back of the film are transferred to the leather as a series of dotted lines.

6. Either join the dots with a fine stylus, or carve directly along the dotted lines. If you stray slightly off the line, it's not a problem - the dots will disappear when the design is bevelled.

I've found that these 'craftaids' can be used many times over, because the little pimples on the back of the film are not flattened when the design is transferred onto the leather.

They take a little time to prepare, but can save an awful lot of tracing time!

Edit - I put the prick-marks at 1m apart first time round . . . not very practical!

pic1a.jpg

pic2a.jpg

pic3a.jpg

pic4a.jpg

pic5a.jpg

pic6a.jpg

pic1a.jpg

pic2a.jpg

pic3a.jpg

pic4a.jpg

pic5a.jpg

pic6a.jpg

post-7199-1243037790_thumb.jpg

post-7199-1243037800_thumb.jpg

post-7199-1243037812_thumb.jpg

post-7199-1243037824_thumb.jpg

post-7199-1243037835_thumb.jpg

post-7199-1243037845_thumb.jpg

Edited by celticleather

Good finding!!

Thanks for sharing, the world needs more heroes (and in the leatherworld you can never have too many tips or aids in your work)!!

Tom

Really great tip and "how to" as well! Where would one find the Melinix (sp?)

Thanks for sharing!

Bob

Really great tip and "how to" as well! Where would one find the Melinix (sp?)

Thanks for sharing!

Bob

Most printers use Melinex or a similar polyester film in the platemaking process, so a little begging may work! Otherwise, any polyester film will serve (Mylar etc) - check on Google.

The plastic fronts from presentation folders work really well for this - I found a load that were about to be thrown out and spent a happy half hour cutting the usable plastic from them. Perfect - and free!

Thanks Terry - a really useful tip.

Most printers use Melinex or a similar polyester film in the platemaking process, so a little begging may work! Otherwise, any polyester film will serve (Mylar etc) - check on Google.

Just browsing the posts and the thought occurred to me that the little sewing notion "pricking" wheels would speed up this process considerably.

LD