ABC3

Leather burn

How do you elimate leather burn from a belt sander? And does it really hurt anything thru the burnishing process?

A couple of things factor in.One is don't push too hard using finer grits, and get a Variable speed sander.I can dial my Burr-King down to next to nothing, and sands them with ease.Dave

To tell the truth, I like a very light scortch on my edges. I've found, quite by accident, that it creates a little tougher edge. Too much and the edge becomes brittle and cracks. I'm probably weird....but there you have it...... :bike:

Bob

I use a coarse belt and almost no pressure on the work at all.

Cheers,

Badger

Hobby,

I was having the same problem when I used a belt sander. I quit using the belt sander for most stuff. What I now use instead is a small table top drill press. I set the drill press on its side and I found some small sanding drums at Lowes. Because the drill press runs at a much slower speed, it's much easier to avoid bad leather burning. It can still happen if I'm not careful, but I'm much happier with the results than I was with the belt sander.

Try dressing the edges on the sander while the leather is damp. This not only reduces scorching, but eliminates dust in the air. Material removed drops as little damp clumps. Makes the work area much more pleasant during this stage of production.