Sign in to follow this  
MADMAX22

windshield bag (in process)

Hey guys been working on a windshield bag for a guy at work thats gonna go on his roadking.

Ill get the rest of the pics should be done today or tomorrow.

Basically used the pattern pack for the fork bag but we made a bracket and Im covering that with leather. Its gonna be black so figured I would post a couple of shots of the tooling.

I was happy with the basketweave but the screws I could of done better on I think. The dolphins were ok. Oh and for anyone that doesnt know the dolphins are what submariners get when they are finished with there qualifications. Most countries have some semplence of them for there submarine fleet.

front_detail.JPG

tool_bag_front_all.JPG

post-5781-1243933132_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1243933149_thumb.jpg

Nice work on the dolphins guy :)

Nice job on the tooling of the sub pin. So your friend was a machinist's mate in the usn?

Was yes

Lookin good Madmax!!

The dolphins are very nice and the basketweave look good too. Did you see rectangles before your eyes when you went to sleep after that;-?

Tom

Lets just say I broke it up into two days of tooling. I think I need to widen my grips on my tools. My big hands dont like gripping those little stamp handles.

Great looking work!

Dang, Max, I thought you knew better than to hang around with Bubbleheads! lol Nice work anyway!

Lets just say I broke it up into two days of tooling. I think I need to widen my grips on my tools. My big hands dont like gripping those little stamp handles.

I have big arthritic mitts

I also have fuel line grips on my most used stamps ;0) Varied sizes of line to friction fit ove the tool handle - let's me loosen my grip on it a bit while stamping and not so much cramping etc after

Hairspray on the stamp handle will help ya slide tight fuel line over it and acts like glue once it dries ;)

Thats a darn good idea McJeep. Thanks

And thanks Ian and Tim, he seemed to like the pictures of it so far so hopefully Ill get it all put together this week.

Well dont know how to edit the first post, wanted to change the title to windsheild bag finished but oh well.

Anyways got her done, fingers are sore lol. I need a sewing machine.

The mounting portion is a piece of aluminum that was cut bent and drilled to follow the contour of the windshield. I covered it with leather and included to strap guides I guess you could call them. This allowed the bag to retain the standard fork mounting setup but be attached to the windshield. The strap is a little long but allows for diversity in set up so he can mount it somewhere else if he decides to.

Most of the black is vinegaroon. Had to touch up the black for the edges and where I tooled becuase there the vinee couldnt soak thru all the way. The inside lining came out a nice grey color so I chose to leave it as is. Made for a nice contrast between the dark black of the outside and the inside. Looks good in person.

Enjoy. Was playing with camera so got alot of pics lol,

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2989.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_3000.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2989.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_3000.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

post-5781-1244331235_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1244331244_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1244331250_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1244331257_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1244331264_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1244331272_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1244331285_thumb.jpg

post-5781-1244331297_thumb.jpg

Way nice! I bet your fingers are sore - there's a reason the one I did got braided - no way can I hand stitch that much.

Vurrrrrrry nassssssssssssssss :)

What type of leather did you use for the linning? It came out really nice, and the edge burnishing is awesome!

Thanks,

the lining is that vegtan tooling calf, I think about 2/3oz. I vinegarooned it just like the outside stuff and ended up getting that grey color. Worked out pretty good for the finished product.

I also oiled it, leather balm with atom wax, then a coat of sno seal. Incase your interested.

Edited by MADMAX22

:You_Rock_Emoticon: Yeah, it looks really really good!

Basketweaving on black seem a bit uncommon but works very well. I really like the edges too, you got them well together at the sides.

You're gonna sleep well after this one!!

Tom