Sign in to follow this  
LeatherCaptain

Reata Core

Hi,

So, I'm thinking that I want to try my hand at braiding and I want to build a reata for my mother in law as a gift. I've been reading quite a bit and I have a book (classic book on making cowboy gear) that explains everything pretty well. I guess it's just a matter of getting started but, my question is what is the best choice for core material?

The book says that Sash Cord is good to use or maybe a couple of pieces of rawhide back to back with beveled edges. I just read someone's website where they used paracord. But, I'm not sure what to use.

What are your suggestions?

(no, i'm not buying the movie ~ not yet, atleast):)

I have only made four dtrand reatas and have not used a core. I use four strands of about 1/4 inch and it has worked well.

Joe

Hello Joe,

What is the width of lace for a 4 strand reata, and what thickness is your lace I am just getting going on this rawhide braiding also do you bevel your lace or just leave it with a sharp edge

If your lace is wide enough for a 4mm cord ie para cord, make sure you get the 7 strand version. If you want to know why 7 strands, then put 7 coins in a circle and see for yourself.

If I was making a long one I would definately use paracord for the shape and the additional strength it adds.

LeatherCaptain,

I happened to stumble across this and thought I'd go ahead and add to this thread.

Joe from RCSaddles has it right, you want 4, 1/4" strands of rawhide, no core and you don't want just any rawhide. The reata men all try to get a hide from an old cow due to the fact that it would be a little tougher, thicker and will have a nice lay when broken in. Bruce Grants book shows and describes the process well. He advocates rope/sash cord for braided leather reins but not for a rawhide reata. I know a braider who buys a number of hides and then as he cuts them into string he will determine those good enough for reatas and then those that don't make the grade (and the portions of hide not suited) he cuts finer string and makes reins, romals and bosels. He makes really nice stuff, but his focus is making reatas. Hope this helps and is not too late for you.

Grumpy guy