55Truck

Fire Helmet Shield?

I am a firefighter and looking to get into leather working. On every fire helmet is a leather front piece that serves as a form of identification while wearing the helmet. This is called a shield or front.

I have never done any leather working before but I would like to try to make a shield. I have attached a picture but in case you can't tell, the middle square (called an insert) has sunken or recessed numbers. The shields consist of 3 layers. A black front layer, a white or red middle layer, and another black layer for the backing.

I was wondering what kind of leather, as well as what tools I need to complete this job; or where do I find colored leather, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

shield_demo.jpg

shield_demo.jpg

post-10745-1244518811_thumb.jpg

Welcome to leatherworking.

Not sure without looking at it in person but those look relatively simple (not easy but simple). If the letters are recessed they are more then likely stamped and then painted. As far as the other parts it looks like they are cut and layered basically, use a different color leather underneath and cut holes in the top layer so you can see the other layers.

Those look machine stitched and that would be the easiest way but you could very well do them by hand.

As far as finding leather there are several suppliers. Tandy is a decent retail store, Springfeild leather (Kevin post here regularly) is great, waterhouse leathers, seigel of california, alot of these places will have plenty of types to choose from.

There was someone on the forum here who has made those and I dont recall who it is. Someone with a little more experience may be able to help out. Maybe do a search around and it may turn up. I think they made a few of these for the guys on there squad or whatever you all call it.

I predicted that it would be cutting and layering but is it going to be painted leather? or can i find it already dyed? The shields I have ordered appear to be dyed. The middle layer also appears to be patent, or a glossier leather, if not plastic. There is the option of stitching on the numbers, but I think it would be simpler to cut them out.

Also, I do not have any access to a leather sewing machine so I planned to do it by hand using an awl.

You can get variouse colored leathers usually chrome tanned. Just about any color you want really. Im really not sure what would be the best for your application, hopefully someone else will chime in shortly.

Good luck.

As an ex Firefighter, I know what these shields will go through.

You'll need some kind of commercially processed leather, maybe even patent leather, to stand up to the heat and the constantly alternating wet and dry conditions of the job.

I would avoid Veg tanned leather as it'll suffer.

Leather is probably the very worst choice of material for the job, but tradition being what it is..........

There are plasticised and rubberised leather used for certain military applications around. Also, shoe leather suppliers may be able to supply waterproof leather in different colours.

You won't be able to burnish the edges very well on these, so I would cut them as neat as possible then sand the edges on a belt ad dye them with something permanent, like a Sharpie.

I would also avoid natural threads like linen, as they'll just rot, and go for a synthetic.

Hope this helps.

Badger

Hi there Guys

I am a current serving proffesional front line FF in Auckland City New Zealand. I also have made a number of shields for American helmets. They are not easy. Anyway after reading your article I was surfing around and found a little Yo tube video of the making of leather helmets.

Thought you may be interested.

Cheers

Trevor

Way down under

http://www.allhandsfire.com/cairnsleatherhelmet.html

What types of tools should i look into getting? I was planning on making a wood template shaped as the shield and using it as an edge to cut against. Should I buy a swivel knife or just a straight cutting knife? What thickness leathers should I get? Its going to be at least layers and needs to be no more that 1/4"-1/5" thick.

IMHO I would go with like the 2-3oz range. Once layered if you go with 3 layers it will be just around or just under 1/4".

I would get a good straight knife. Something like a good razorblade would work nicely, maybe box cutter type. You wont really need a swivel knife if your not doing any decorative cuts.

I bought some leather at a local store i found yesterday. Its pretty thick but for my first shield it will do. Anyways, I was wondering if there were some kind of number stamps out there. I was thinking about cutting out the recessed numbers but i was wondering if there was a kind of cookie-cutter-style stamp that i could use so its a little neater.

55Truck, good to see another firefighter here! I wish I could help you more with your question but I've never made a helmet shield. My department won't let us add anything to the outside of our helmets, so if it wasn't put on at the factory we're out of luck. There is another firefighter here on the forum who does make tooled shields. His user name is Cha-Chi and he also has a website: www.leatherworxbychachi.com . There are some examples of his work on his site. You might give him a pm and see if he can help you out! Good luck brother!

Warren

I just about finished the shield. I have to get some green dye because i decided to go with a shamrock on the insert. When its done i'll try to post pictures. I was surprised with how it came out, a little better than I thought for my first time. Still working out some kinks, especially in the stitching area. But i'm sure that will work itself out with time.

Thanks for all the help.

I don't know if 55Truck is still posting here, but I'm looking to get into doing some of my own fire shields. I'd love to see how your first came out, brother, and get some insight into how to start making my own. Mostly selecting leather for tooling and creating these shields. I hear a lot of shield companies saying they make their shields with "helmet grade leather" but I can't find any information on what that means...

If anyone can provide me some direction in what type of leather to select, that would be a super help. Thanks!

Bump

I am just as interested. Hoping to make one for my father in law.

Hey guys, I am another Firefighter/LEather Craftsman looking to make helmet shields. Do you think that nomex or kevlar thread should be used?

Thanks

Do a search for helmet shields on the leatherworker.net main forum page. There are several firefighters in the forums that make helmet shields. Here is a link to a post by ne of them. Send him a PM I am sure here can give you some insight. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26586&hl=%2Bhelmet+%2Bshields