jeeperaz

Overstitch wheels?

I'm looking for a decent overstitch wheel(s). I'd like to avoid buying the craftool item at tandy.

So can anyone suggest a decent source?

I'm looking for a decent overstitch wheel(s). I'd like to avoid buying the craftool item at tandy.

So can anyone suggest a decent source?

Gomphs are the best...but you'll have to get them on ebay or from someone who has 'em like Bob Douglas. The old Osbornes are good as well.

What spacings are you looking for?

I've been collecting old overstitch wheels (eBay, Douglas, etc - Osbornes are my favorite of the old ones) but my favorite of all is my #6 Horseshoe (Jeremiah Watt) - he makes the whole series of sizes, $55 apiece.

http://www.ranch2arena.com/stitchmarkers.html

Julia

Thanks.

Marlon,

I was looking at primarily 6,7 and possibly 8.

Julia,

I'll save the link.

http://www.campbell-bosworth.com/catalog/i....php/cPath/1_15 This place has a nice selection of Osborne tools.

Thanks.

Marlon,

I was looking at primarily 6,7 and possibly 8.

Julia,

I'll save the link.

If you don't need the best, Hidecrafters has one with interchangeable wheels, It has a 5, 6, 7, & 8 and is better quality than the tandy ones... I could post a picture of one if you care to see it.

If you don't need the best, Hidecrafters has one with interchangeable wheels, It has a 5, 6, 7, & 8 and is better quality than the tandy ones... I could post a picture of one if you care to see it.

I looked on their website and saw one but it's discontinued... along with what seems like the majority of the items in the catalog.

But a picture would be great if you find the time.

http://www.campbell-bosworth.com/catalog/i....php/cPath/1_15 This place has a nice selection of Osborne tools.

handsew.gif

Hand Sewing

We don't have any stock in the Osborne Overstitch wheels, but they are listed on the website. We can bring them in with our next order. Osborne only makes sizes 5, 6 & 7.

I looked on their website and saw one but it's discontinued... along with what seems like the majority of the items in the catalog.

But a picture would be great if you find the time.

Here's a photo of the set from Hidecrafter's. I think this one replaced the one they have in the catalog...

I think it's a decent set, not the best, but certainly not the worst...I don't recall the price, but I do remember it being fairly inexpensive.

Marlon

photo.jpg

post-3307-1245195987_thumb.jpg

Hi... I stock the osbornes, (but I'm not at the store, so I don't know what we've got at the moment). I think they're about the best of what you can get outside of going to one of the expensive ones that folks have mentioned. And we have Osborne tools coming in about every week or so.

Thanks,

Kevin

Here's a photo of the set from Hidecrafter's. I think this one replaced the one they have in the catalog...

I think it's a decent set, not the best, but certainly not the worst...I don't recall the price, but I do remember it being fairly inexpensive.

Marlon

I currently have a 3 wheel set from Tandy - is the Hidecrafters set significantly better in performance? I like he fact that it seems from the photo to have more angle. (I am awaiting confirmation that Hidecrafters still supply the one pictured.

I really like the quality of the Ranch2Arena ones, but at $55 each I can't really afford it. I appreciate that the materials and manufacture are top notch, but do they mark and overstitch so much better?

Thanks for any information,

Geoff

I currently have a 3 wheel set from Tandy - is the Hidecrafters set significantly better in performance? I like he fact that it seems from the photo to have more angle. (I am awaiting confirmation that Hidecrafters still supply the one pictured.

I really like the quality of the Ranch2Arena ones, but at $55 each I can't really afford it. I appreciate that the materials and manufacture are top notch, but do they mark and overstitch so much better?

Thanks for any information,

Geoff

I was in H/C this weekend and they had a few sets there. I don't think they are discontinued or anything, because they just started offering them about a year ago. So you should be in good shape.

The handle does have more of an angle than the Tandy ones and the points are really sharp compared to Tandy. I think it makes decent impressions and has good overstitch capability.

I have the tandy 3 wheel+ embossers set also. What I do NOT like about it is that it too thick for my needs & too cumbersome, also. I prefer my older tandy set of 3 separate overstitchers- the 5, the 6 & the 7 ppi overstitchers. Unfortunately I lost my old 5 ppi one, so I bought a newer single 5 tool at tandy (mostly I use the 5 ppi for handsewing, and almost never use the 6 or 7). It's thin enough for getting into the tight areas to mark them for sewing, whereas the tandy all purpose 3 wheel+ embossing wheel set doesn't work for me- too clunky, too thick, isn't sharp enough on the points, & takes too much time to change to a different wheel (if I need a different size, I can grab a different tool in seconds, rather than fiddle around with the other parts in the set).

Here are some pix that might help -

left to right they are:

antique Osborne pricking wheel, size 6 (from Bob Douglas)

antique Osborne pricking wheel, size 5 (from Bob Douglas)

Horseshoe Tools size 6

very old Craftool size 5

modern interchangeable Tandy size 6

The Horseshoe is the one I use most often - it gives good definition, is comfortable to use, and gives the deepest track impression, as you can see (sort of) in the view of the tracks on end. The pricking wheels are great for marking but don't do an overstitch for cleanup after you sew.

Julia

wheels (5).JPG

wheels (7).JPG

wheelmarks2.JPG

wheelmarks3.JPG

post-1761-12559822295_thumb.jpg

post-1761-125598224681_thumb.jpg

post-1761-125598225617_thumb.jpg

post-1761-125598227584_thumb.jpg

I have one of the Horseshoe spacers. The ferrule fell off on it 3rd use, causing me to jump outta the track & ruined a fine piece of leather product. And we all know that this kinda stuff always happens near the end of the job. Yeah it leaves deep impressions alright. I still have a phone call to make, along with some complaining. I hope they work out better for ya all. I'm looking for one of those Gomphs now.

Here are some pix that might help -

left to right they are:

antique Osborne pricking wheel, size 6 (from Bob Douglas)

antique Osborne pricking wheel, size 5 (from Bob Douglas)

Horseshoe Tools size 6

very old Craftool size 5

modern interchangeable Tandy size 6

The Horseshoe is the one I use most often - it gives good definition, is comfortable to use, and gives the deepest track impression, as you can see (sort of) in the view of the tracks on end. The pricking wheels are great for marking but don't do an overstitch for cleanup after you sew.

Julia

Thanks a lot for going to the trouble of posting the photos - I think that I will give the Hidecrafters set a try - they look sharper than the Tandy ones.(from a previous photo)

If the ferrule has any gap, I will give it a spot of superglue.

Thanks for the tip.

Geoff

Jeep just to make you drool look at my Gomph overstitchers at" Gary's leather tools and walnut box" on the "show off " site. and see if you like them . these are from my personel collection but let me look thru some of my other tools and see if I have some extra overstitchers by Gomph Is so i will put them on the site here for sale.

Gary,

I'd be interested in knowing what old tools you have to sell. I've got a pretty good collection of gomph overstitch wheels (#5 thru #12). But I'd still like to see what you have.

Thx.