AndyL1

JUKI LS-321

Hey all,

I stumbled upon a JUKI LS-321 Cylinder arm machine for sale. It also has a reverse stitching. It is the head only for $650.

Question #1: Will this stitch through 2-3 layers of 5/6oz? Maybe even like two layers of lighter weight stuff for soft sided pouches and things?

Question #2: Is this a good price on a this used machine with the head only? Attached is a photo.

Thanks,

Andy

juki_321.jpg

post-8183-1245433256_thumb.jpg

Edited by AndyL1

Hi Andy,

This is the classic "medium duty" cylinder arm machine. If I remember right, it has the big bobbin, but I could be wrong here. It will sew about 3/8 max with 138 or maybe 207/138. So 3 pieces of 6oz might be out there on the fringe, but if you can get it under the foot, it will probably sew it, however the occasional bent needle is not out of the question. You will seldom find many of the "medium duty" machines set up to sew 3/8 inch and usually a couple of pieces of 9oz are about the norm. I did make a sandwich of two pieces of HO 9oz harness and a 4oz piece of chrome tan at the Sheridan show and it did it at fairly high speed, but the needle does get hot, i mean HOT.

As to price, price depends on condition. If it is in GREAT condition AND has a big bobbin then $650 ok, but only barely so, this is as much as I would ever pay for that machine head only, and I would have to want it real bad. If it is small bobbin, then that knocks $200-$300 off that price with the machine still in great condition. This machine is old, but parts are available and if in good shape, old ones work as good as new ones. The $650 is more what I would expect from a dealer who can provide service and set you up with a new or used stand and anything else you need.

Keep looking.

Art

Hey all,

I stumbled upon a JUKI LS-321 Cylinder arm machine for sale. It also has a reverse stitching. It is the head only for $650.

Question #1: Will this stitch through 2-3 layers of 5/6oz? Maybe even like two layers of lighter weight stuff for soft sided pouches and things?

Question #2: Is this a good price on a this used machine with the head only? Attached is a photo.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy, this machine is a very good machine. It's worth the $650 but if you can get it for less, even better. You will want to change the presser feet to the leather feet so it doesn't mark the leather. This is a compound feed machine meaning that the needle, center foot and the feed dog all move together. Depending on the leather, you could probably sew up to 20-24 oz. Thanks, Steve

Andy,

Keep in mind that if my mother was selling that machine for $650, I would try and beat her down on the price, which is probably a good price in CA. The Chinese version of that machine new can run right around $2100 with stand and motor.

Art

If you can buy that machine for $650.00, then I would buy it. An original Juki 321 in good sewing condition is well worth it, regardless if it has the stand, table, motor or not.

Used models of this machine will fetch at least $1250.00 from a dealer, if not more.

This is not a good machine for sewing heavy leather, but it works well for up to about 1/4" with no larger than a size 138 thread.

Original Juki price was well over $2000.00 new.

Ryan O. Neel

Cowboy Sewing Machines

Neel's Saddlery and Harness

Well guys, thank you very much for the insight on this machine. I went ahead and bought it through the eBay auction for $650. Thanks again for all your help in my decision making process!

Cheers,

Andy