Sign in to follow this  
CarvedOn

Has anyone mailed a leather item to Australia?

Hello,

I got a custom order for a wallet from Australia. How did you send it, regular US mail? Was there any problem with customs? Did it arrive OK? Thanks!

I have mailed a lot of items to other countries (not leather, just other stuff). Always US mail, never UPS (there are huge fees with them). I have had 100% success. The only thing you have to do differnatly is there is a form you have to fill out at the PO. I always declare the items as "gifts" that way they usually do not have to pay duty on them.

Hello,

I got a custom order for a wallet from Australia. How did you send it, regular US mail? Was there any problem with customs? Did it arrive OK? Thanks!

About 3 weeks ago I mailed some Barry King tools to Singapore, US mails. No problem. My recepient e-mailed he rec'd them about 10 days later.

Harvey

Los Angeles

Any tanned leather will make it through customs fine, the only problem is with rawhide or products containing rawhide such as traditional drums. We have a $1000 AUD limit before we have to pay duty which is pretty good compared to some countries.

I have used USPS and haven't have any trouble at all.

Going across borders any courier will charge brokerage fees at the other end. In Canada, 30 to 40 dollars is common. So we make sure anyone who ships us anything from the US puts it in the US mail. No fees at this end that way, and you can still get it insured and tracked.

I have shipped to Australia through the USPS. works well. But I would caution you about lying on customs forms. I have no idea what the penalty is, or how often things are checked, but especially if you are in business I would worry that the cost could be much higher than any little amount you save your customer. just my two cents. Chris

I sent a leather notebook to Oz in one of our "pay it forwards". Although USPS is much less expensive than UPS, it still cost me about $40 to send a package weighing around 2 pounds.

Back in April I sent a small leather ball bag, similar to this one, to a friend in Australia via USPS. Can't remember just how much it cost but I think around $5.00. No problems and it got there just fine.

BallFlaskOliveOil4.jpg

I just sent off a custom order for a coin purse to austraila the other day, the insurance for it was 38.95.

i used priority flat rate box and a declare slip, so im hoping it gets to my customer :head_hurts_kr: